A-1 Battery Use

tsuacctnt

I know this question has probably been asked somewhere before but I can't seem

to find an answer to my specific version of the question. If I forget to put

my A-1 in the L position the battery is usually dead the next time I use it.

Is this normal? What's killing the battery? The manual says something about

disabling the active circuitry by putting it in L. Is the light meter

constantly churning away when the camera is on? I can leave my AE-1 Program on

without it eating up batteries. I know I've read somewhere about the battery

test button being a possible culprit for battery drain but couldn't find the

post. I would just like to know if I'll have to keep buckets of batteries on

hand for every time I forget to turn off the camera?

I don't use my A-1 all that much anymore.

With that said, though, I've been using the same battery for about 2 1/2 years now, despite having left it in the A position by mistake for several days at a time on several different occasions.

Based on this, I'd say that something is amiss.

As far as I know, the light meter doesn't turn on until the shutter release is half-pressed.

I've accidentally put mine away many times with the switch left on. The only time it was a problem was when the switch was broken and didn't shut off. It would drain over night then. Since I had it fixed it's back to normal. Temperature can be a factor also. Extreme cold will kill those six volts quick.

With the A-1, the L position completely disconnects the positive of the battery with SW7. There should be no current drain.

It is possible that some water has got onto the circuit and caused a small current leak. You need to put a sensitive multimeter in series with the battery and see if there is any current flowing.

The main switch rotor is driven by two small plastic lugs which can break off. Are you sure that the L position is really off?

Henry

I use a carrying case with a foam lining, when the case is closed the foam puts pressure on the shutter release. I?ve experience this drained battery problem myself, until I discovered the foam pushing on the shutter release problem I was sure something was wrong with my A1. Now I always double check the A1 switch before closing the case.

I've had that problem sometimes, and been surprised that it didn't happen others. It's a bit of an enigma, but at $8 a pop it only took me a few times to get paranoid enough to check the switch twice when putting my camera in the bag. I don't know why it happens exactly, and I did leave mine in the A position a few days ago for two days with no problem... so my reply is not an answer, but turn the power selector to L when you finish shooting, OK?