TLR vs Hasselblad

mva

I have always dreamt of having a Hasselblad.

I own a Mamiya C220. Recently I've been on the verge of... buying finally a

Hasselblad, but I never found the courage to do so. Price, of course, and most

importantly, I do not feel yet I have used "enough" my TLR.

So I need a reason to keep going with my Mamiya. Usually I am good at finding

reasons. What about this one?

"Since I never use a tripod, the absence of mirror vibrations means that

pictures taken with my Mamiya are sharper than those I'd take with a Hassy"

How good do you think this excuse is? :-)

Marco

Hi Mag,

I must say I experience the same: everybody starts talking to me when I carry my C220! And I am not a sociable or talkative person, in general ;-) In all the other cases (other cameras), indifference or hostility...

Marco

If you want to get closer to your subject and have more of a choice of lenses and accessories an SLR is handy. You might consider getting a Bronica SQ-A or SQ-Ai to see how you like shooting with an SLR. If you really like it you can then spend more on a Hasselblad system. Most people are not used to seeing film cameras any more so if you shoot with a medium format film SLR people will still be curious.

If you have the set of lenses that go with your C220, and don't mind that you can't switch camera backs, you don't need a Hasselblad. You either love TLRs or hate them, if you like yours, keep it, if you sell it, you'll be sorry later. If you want the feeling of MF slr but can't afford a Hasselblad, go for a Bronica. Sq-A for example are very cheap. You can have one for less than $200.

I've used both. I like both. I had a Yashica D in the early 70's and I have and use a Grey Rollei 4x4. I prefer the Hasselblad's 2.8 Planar lens. If I couldn't use a SLR and had to use a TLR then a Rollei 2.8F would be my choice.

Sell the C220 and buy what you like. Life's too short.

I have a complete Mamiya C330f system and a nice Hasselblad 503CW system. I love them both for different reasons. I have to say, though, that I am a believer in the Zeiss lens mystique. Mamiya lenses have a more muted color palette and are not as contrasty as Zeiss lenses. If money is not a consideration, why not get and keep both?

It really depends upon how much disposable income you have. (I used disposable as an economist uses it, but I think its common meaning is really applicable to all of us gear heads who like to buy our toys.) Suprisingly, I do not see any vibration problems with my Hassey, but of course I like to use tripod for landscapes if I anticipate big blow ups. If you are happy with your mamiya, then why throw money at a Hasselblad? But then again...prices for used gear have never been lower.

A TLR benefits as much from a tripod as an Hasselblad, Mamiya RB/RZ or whatever. Camera shake will reduce medium format to 35mm sharpness at any reasonable shutter speed - but with less grain and at 3x the cost. It's seems that few people (including myself) ever bother to stick a TLR (or a Leica) on a tripod, while hardly anyone uses an Hasselblad without one.

Once you find out what a medium format camera can do, you find that not just any tripod is up to the job, and that good technique counts as much as the tripod itself.

I forgot to comment on vibration. I shoot weddings and routinely shot on the Hasselblad at 1/60th for up to a 120mm lens, but I was using flash a lot too. With the Mamiya, if I concentrated, I could shoot at 1/15th with the 80mm. The configuration of the camera and lens has something to do with it too. The Mamiya is a tall and vertical kind of camera and the shutter button goes downward, but the Hasselblad is the opposite with the shutter button going backward (toward the body) and probably more prone to shake from pressing the shutter button.

If you have always wanted a blad, why suffer and not allow yourself the fulfillment of that want? No need for excuses one way or another. Used blad is not that expensive and it is good to have two cameras using the same film anyway. The only problem is to keep your head and not get carried away by the system. I got one blad first and used it for a few years, then I got another and after that they started to multiply. Now I have four. And five lenses.

I have a fairly extensive Hasselblad system that I've used (and still do) for over 25 years. I've also used TLRs and like both. I use my Hasselblad off-tripod all the time. The big reason people probably tripod them is that the lenses are so sharp they don't want to give up any sharpness due to movement while hand holding them. But they're a great walk around camera. Like the TLRs, they hang well from the shoulder when doing street photography.

While you can consider sharpness, lenses, reliability, etc., do not forget to consider which camera gives YOU the image quality you're looking for. My First TLR was a Yashica 124G. Not as sharp as the Hasselblad, nor as contrasty, but the image quality for portraiture was quite unique. I'd still use it now if it was at all reliable. I bought it new, and shot it to death just a few years later. The Hasselblads, on the other hand, should have been shot to death years ago, but just keep going.

I use a Yashicamat 124G for picture library work which is a whole lot better than one might ever imagine. The Rollei 2.8 planar TLRs are great, but don't dismiss the Rollei SL66. Square format has benefits, the SL has bellows close focussing capacity and focal plane shutter, zeiss barrel lenses, fantastic build quality. Its heavy, but reliable and versatile! Why not go mad and consider this: Graflex Crown or Speed Graphic with Ektar lens on 4x5. I defy anyone with a Hassy to better the quality! They're amazingly light, can be bought cheaply, have a usable coupled rangefinder, and have taken some of the most notable photos of the 20th C!!

If you can afford it, I agree with those who say keep your TLR and buy the Hasselblad.....I did exactly that and love both cameras. I was in the same place as you...had a C220 system that I've used and enjoyed for many years, but always dreamed of owning a Hasselblad. Now, prices on used Hassies and lenses in excellent condition are finally affordable (relatively speaking). I'm enjoying the 501CM and 553ELX I bought, but very glad I kept the C220 too.

Keep both.. you won't get enough resale on your Mamiya to heal the emotional wound of losing it.

I think Hasselblads are overpriced in the used market.. it's a little saturated right now with a lot of pros buying DSLRs, but good deals can be had. Someone above mentioned Bronica, which is a great alternative to a 'blad. There are some nice Nikkors for the old Bronicas as well.

But finally, my impending purchase is a clean Rollei 2.8 + goodies..

so maybe a Rollei TLR would be a good compromise for you.

I am currently useing my Mamiya C300f a lot again at the moment if i'm using film, and I love using it! Having used (hired) Hasselblad equiptment before, I have to say, its great to use, but if you are a stong mined person and can see past the hype, you will admit the quality does not live up to the price you have to pay!!

If you are into MF IMO go for Mamiya's current offereings, their lenses are very good! If you are looking in the 2nd hand market, e.g. ebay, maybe look at bronica...they had some good quality lenses for their ERTS(i) & SQ cameras and are a bargin!