M7 zinc top plates

torben_daltoft

Earlier this year, I asked if members had observed "chicken pox" problems on

the M7, ref: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00K8g3

Of course, the forum oracles stated that all M7 tops are brass

Be informed that Leica informed me that my M7 top plate is "zinc pressure die

casting" (and that I could send it in for a brass replacement -still decent

people!)

I find this hard to believe because one of Leica's marketing hypes of the M7 was that it was introduced (and characterized) with a brass topcover. Also, it is in fact widely known that the last M6TTL cameras had brass topcovers.

If your M7 is indeed zinc, it is a rare example and would have to be one of the very first ones held over from the M6TTL run.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Thanks Torben. I would really like to know if my camera had zinc or brass plates. Do you know if the zinc itself develops the bubbles or is it the paint on the zinc that starts to lift?

It does take better pictures with brass :o)

When I buy a new camera I have to like it visually also. It is a thing of beauty. I like taking pictures of beautiful things. My instrument should be beautiful too. Good design is a necessity.

Interesting... I have an M7 topcover removed from an early model (sr. 2779xxx) and it is most definitely brass; the brass can be seen from the underside.

Was your M7 manufactured with the MP condenser in the finder? Your serial number falls right at the point of the changeover.

Is it likely Leica used CNC machining of brass side-by-side with zinc dye casting?

FWIW, I don't doubt you were told your M7's topcover is zinc pressure die casting.

– Yogi Berra

Would be nice to get some conclusive answers to this question. While your at it, hopefully my BP MP is brass and not zinc!

Why is this important? This is all relative, no? Say you had a car advertised leather seats and then find its actually leatherette. Won't change the driving but nice to know..

Torben:

You were misinformed, as I suspected.

All M7, MP, and M8 topcovers (and baseplates) are CNC'd from a solid piece of brass and (with the exception of the BP MP) coated with a layer of zinc.

I confirmed this with Dave Elwell at Leica New Jersey this afternoon.

Kindest regards, Bill

– Yogi Berra