What are your least favorite comments?

bob_peters

"Oh, you edit the photos afterward? Really?"

"Umm, did you know your flash is pointed up at the ceiling?"

And yes I've gotten the "I don't think you need your flash on out here, it's very bright and sunny"

And of course, "Your camera takes nice photos" (just grin and nod).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have this problem??

As a young female photographer it drives me crazy that guests frequently assume my male assistant is "the photographer." They make the assumption even when I'm the one with a camera taking pictures and the assistant is dragging gear behind me.

""You wouldn't compliment a chef on his pots and pans would you?"

Love it!"

Actually like photography, the equipment doesn't make the result, but it definitely contributes. Chefs have their toys too -- All Clad or Mauviel pans that cost $300+ apiece, Mandolin that cost $200 plus, etc. They don't make the food taste good any more than a High end Canon or Nikon makes the picture look good, but there's no denying that it helps to have high quality equipment.

And in photography it's not like the old days when even though the pro was using a Nikon F and you had a Minolta SR-T-101 you were both using the same film (and hence the same imaging technology) and thus had the ability to achieve the same results. Now the imaging tech is in the camera so the pro with his 21MP Canon is essentially equivalent to the Medium Format shooter to your 35mm. So I guess my point is that if anything, equipment matters MORE today than it did 20 years ago.

All that said naturally the major component, as stated so eloquently by the original poster is that when you're good you can make it look easy, but that doesn't mean it IS easy.

OK, this thread is GREAT!!!!! Sledd - yes I get that ALL the time. I also look like I'm 12 (short and babyfaced), so even if I have another female with me, I'm always treated as the assistant.

One from me - "How much is your cheapest package? I'll just get that and then copy off the rest on my computer."

"You must have a really good camera."

"You take how many pictures!"

"You know, I used to shoot weddings."

"I am studying photography, but I could never lower myself to shooting weddings."

"8 meg! My cellphone has an 8 meg camera!"

"Do you really need all of that stuff or is just for show?"

Guest: What camera are you shooting?

Me: The new Nikon F-16.

Guest: Cooooool!

I am sure that I will come up with more later . . .

Ed

OK, this is a fav of mine. It's not really a comment, but its an action. You know all those disposable cameras that brides love to leave on the tables? Yeah, everyone thinks their being original when they snap a picture of me, being the photographer...lol! I have a minimum of 12 mug shots taken per wedding when those are there. I always end up apologizing to the bride...but she normally laughs it up then. LOL!

David,

I agree. Sure Mario Andretti is an awesome driver in any car, but he won't enter the race with a Toyota Corolla either.

Ehhh.. A good photographer can get the most out of any camera, absolutely. But when a chef uses a gold plated spoon to taste the soup, it's for a good reason. They don't want to add the taste of plastic, wood, or steel to his taste buds. Just like we want to maximize color contrast, sharpness, accuracy, and speed with quality equipment.

I have fun challenging myself with my old Canonete. I have done some really cool things with it. But I'm not about to let it replace a 5D and 24-70 at a wedding.

I guess it has all been said before.

"That must be a really nice camera."

"I think so. I love it."

Howdy!

I guess I have a good attitude. Most of the above comments don't bother me. In fact, I either take them as compliments, or I look at them as a chance to educate the public.

"You must have a very expensive camera!" --> "Thanks!"

"You take how many pictures!" --> "It's digital, so I don't worry about it very much!"

"You know, I used to shoot weddings." --> "I'll bet you don't miss it very much!"

"8 meg! My cellphone has an 8 meg camera!" --> "A Porsche has a four cylinder engine, just like a Hyundai, but I'll bet the Porsche handles better and goes faster".

"Do you really need all that stuff or is it just for show?" --> "Well, what do you think I should get rid of?"

"Now that I've ordered all the photos I'm going to, will you give me the digital negatives?" --> "Sure, just as soon as you give me $500".

"I don't think you need your flash on out here, it's very bright and sunny" --> "Do you see that shadow on their faces, and those hollow raccoon eyes? The camera sees it too. I have to get rid of it."

"Umm, did you know your flash is pointed up at the ceiling?" --> "Yes, it's like opening a big hole in the roof for the sun to come through".

"I'm a Nikon guy myself.." --> "Good for you! I know lots of Nikon shooters! It's a great system, but I prefer Canon."

"I am studying photography, but I could never lower myself to shooting weddings." --> "Call me when you make your first million".

"Where do you print your prints at?" --> "mpix.com"

"I could do this too, I just bought a (fill in the blank with expensive camera)" --> "Be my guest".

"I hope you haven't paid him. I know a little bit about photography and there's no way he could have got that shot" --> "I'll tell you what. I'll bet todays fee that I DID get that shot. All we have to do is look at the LCD. Do you feel lucky?"

"Are you getting those shots?" --> "I just got that shot, but thanks for pointing it out".

The one thing that does bother me is the assumption that younger people or ladies (or young ladies for that matter) are not primary photographers. I don't know how to solve that, except for the cheesy photographers vest.

Later,

Paulsky

"Wow those are great picures, what kind of camera do you use?" I told someone who said that to me one time that that was like telling a writer they loved a book they wrote and asking what kind of typewriter do you use.

Person 1 "How can he take photos of them in the shade?"

Person 2 "He's got one of those professional cameras."

Looking at my 70-200,"man I bet you could shoot something a mile away with that thing."

And my all time favorite which I've heard a million times, "I hope I don't break your camera." I always respond "don't worry I've got two."

I was working with a couple and as I changed lenses, before I even had a chance to remove the lense cap they were quick to notice "your lense cap is on". I'm glad they were there to tell me otherwise I would have had some seriosly underexposed images :)

<b><i>"You are an awesome photographer!" From a guest who has never seen a print, website or the lcd screen from me. </b></i>

<p>

That just reflects that you work well with people. There are many photographers out there that take can excellent pictures but have little or no "people" skills.

I get a lot of people saying that I'm a great photog without seeing a photo, I take it as a compliment to my people skills. My favorite comment though...

<br><br>

"no digital for the pros I guess"

<br><br>

It amazes me that there's so many people that think that DSLRs don't exsist.

Oh and Paulsky, I've found that a 70-200 and a good commanding voice goes a long way in people taking me seriously. And I'm 5'2", 120 lbs and look about 16, I've never had a problem with people not thinking I was the photographer. Well once, but that was my second wedding and there was an Uncle Bob who kinda took over, so I asked him to stop and he left.