What are your least favorite comments?

bob_peters

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a professional photographer, but as some of the other arts (culinary and literary)have been referenced...

"So, you're a musician. What instrument do you play?"

"Saxophone."

"Oh, I LOVE the saxophone!"

I never know how to respond. I think it's supposed to be some kind of complement.

I guess the point is that this sort of thing happens everywhere, and most people are well meaning. We can't all be experts in all areas.

No harm in having a laugh about it, though.

Sean

I drive for 2+ hours, and get to the appointed place on time. I knock on the door of the Bride's parents house.....

Bride's mother opens the door....

"Hello, I'm Donald, the photographer"

"Oh, ....... my daughter does not like photos" she replies, and closes the door!

"Now you have upset my wife by putting her in the front row"

"Now you have upset my daughter by putting her in the back row"

"How come your tripod is always in the right place?"

Whispered after desperate prodding in the Church...... "Your flash is not working!"

"I hope you have film in that"

"I wish they had sent Donald".

"I like the way you let everyone else take photos too".

"You don't have any spare batteries do you?"

"You don't have any spare film do you?"

"I don't suppose you have a couple of button batteries to fit my Pentax Spotmatic do you?"

"How did you know they were going to do that?".

There must be haeps more. Good thread.

Donald.

Hello Wedding clan,

I'm a professional event shooter, concerts, autograph signings, corp functions (everything but weddings - not that there's anything wrong with that ;) I shoot about 80-100 events a year.

At a concert, sitting in a tight area and shooting with all primes (85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 24mm 2.8 and 80-200 f2.8 zoom). Naturally a number of high wattage spots were on the band.

A lady (a formerly skilled photographer - she tells me) makes her way to me and taps me on the shoulder and tells me, "you're not going to get a sharp pic without a tripod and not usinf a flash" (I usually have a monopod with me). I explain to her 'quickly about the rule of thumb about shutter speeds and length of lenses and the good amount of light hitting the band, the use of the fast lenses etc. and she becomes even more perplexed goes back to her friends and tells them how inept I am (meanwhile I'm happily shooting 1/320 - 1/500 F1.8 with my 85mm 1.8 with the changing light conditions).

I've been approached many times with all the common comments mentioned - but this was one of the few times I wanted to ask the lady for her email add. to send her some proof that this could be done!

Cheers!

Chris

I've att. a Paul Potts (if you're familiar)pic from last week (the crowd numbered about 4000 in a tight area)<div>00NPGh-39950984.jpg.a423c24bd0207a9a37d3b7167dc268e7.jpg</div>

AWESOME thread!

"How come you don't just use the screen on the back?" with a perplexed look on their face as to why I continue to use the viewfinder.

Take a moment at your next wedding to have a chuckle at how funny it looks when all the guests are standing around, arms outstretched, squinting, taking pics with their p&s cams.

Ah, my least favorite . . . when the DJ steps up to the mic and says "oh, they're about to cut the cake, everyone grab those little cameras on the table and get up here! Then everyone jumps in front of me or hits the chair I'm standing on because (God forbid) I'm in their way!!" Why oh why do people use the disposables to take the pictures the photographer was HIRED to take? See, they paid someone to do that, you don't have to!!

Ok, enough venting. Love the thread by the way :)

I've only shot a small handful of weddings, but at every one so far, someone has said...<br><br>

"What's that funny bowl on your flash?" (pointing at my lightsphere)<br><br>

I just tell them it's to eat my breakfast out of. Much easier than trying to explain the science of flash diffusion.