D300 first impressions and samples

mars790

After spending a little time with the D300, i can safely say that it's living up to my hopes.

It feels even better than the D200 in my hands. I was surprised that it's 5g lighter than the D200 (with the

battery, the D300 feels about the same as the D200 without a battery).

The screen hype was not exaggerated. The one touch (finally) zoom helps the enjoyment of the crisp and

colorful display that definitely helps you know what you have in the field.

The menu and the extended options are more advanced than i expected. The level of control of the

customized settings has been greatly enhanced compared to the D200. You now have 10 sharpening

levels compared to 5, 7 levels of contrast to 3, 3 levels of Brightness - a new option, and 7 levels of

saturation to 3. You can also customize all of the other picture settings for Neutral, Vivid and Monochrome

which has 10 colors to select from. I'm looking forward to messing with this. The D200 has no

customization for those settings and does not offer Monochrome.

I never was too excited about live view until i actually tried it for some macro studio work. I was able to

control the focus very easily. I tend to get my camera in strange angles and the live view will prove useful

to my neck.

I took some shots from the inside of a unique and amazing tree. It's leaves extend all the way to the

ground and it's dark inside. The D300's ability to handle the harsh highlight of the sun and the shadows

from inside the tree's interior is a noticable improvement. Those were taken with the 17-35 and the 10.5

fisheye.

Here's some macro images and a link to those and the tree pics. View them larger there at 1200 pixels

wide...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=785518<div>00NQPg-39984084.jpg.4c84666bd59a02a0f6fe687091f9f4ac.jpg</div>

"I never was too excited about live view until i actually tried it for some macro studio work. I was able to control the focus very easily."

Thanks, Ric. That is one question I had regarding that liveview.

I don't know why they did not make the TFT screen movable (Swivel TFT screen). A socket for an external (larger) TFT display screen would have been even more useful.

Perhaps on a D300x or a D3x?

Vivek: That would be even better. Many of my abstracts are macros, and the added control of

selective focus will really come in handy. I shoot wide open a lot and the ability to place the

focus exactly where you want it is improved tenfold. Anyone who is not excited by this is

probably not a macro shooter.

Albert: The viewfinder seems a bit brighter and larger and is not the same. I haven't

compared it directly with the same lens as of yet, but i will.

Elliot: Thank you very much, I already am...

Frank, black and white is not Monochrome. Monochrome can have one color represented

in a black and white image. Having this achieved in camera will be fun to try.

And maybe you misunderstood me. If you choose Vivid, Portrait or any of the optimize

image choices in the D200 (besides Custom), you cannot customize the settings involved.

You're locked into the predetermined values of the camera for that setting. In the D300, if

you choose Neutral or Vivid for example, you can further tweak the settings and choose

the exact level of saturation, contrast, and sharpening desired, etc...

I'll be curious to see if any pros/advanced photogs use the in camera adjustment features...I

don't really see the utility of this as I shoot in RAW and usually spot meter expose for

highlights and re adjust the entire photo in LR/PS....for serious photogs I just can't see

making in camera adjustments on a 3 inch screen as useful...The remote PC control however

is very very useful...

"I'll be curious to see if any pros/advanced photogs use the in camera adjustment features"

Sometimes I have an assignment where I am shooting pretty casual pictures. For example. The other day a customer wanted grip and grin pics of thier attendees with a celebrity guest. I Wanted these essentially done when they left the camera. They were to be printed 4X6 so the idea was just shoot them right and send them to the lab. I was very careful with my in-camera adjustments and shot JPEG Fine with a D2H. Bob's your uncle. It took about an hour to do all of the post which amounted to 'just making sure'.

If I am doing this kind of gig (and they are common for me) I want the shots as close to done as I can get them right from the camera. The only thing worse than shooting 4 hours of drunk rich folks throwing money around is having to spend time staring at them a second time in the AM.