Requiring NPS certification for D3 purchase

arthuryeo

For your ref, here is <a

href="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-8745-9167">something

to ponder ...</a>

<p><p>

Money from non-full-timer taste different from the full-timers, I guess.

<p>

When this rush is all over, I think we non-full-timers should ask Nikon to sign

a certification that they need our money before we buy another DSLR from them.

<p>

This is beginning to get to my nerves ... has Canon or any other manufacturer

ever done this before: discriminating between full-time and non-full-time buyers?

<p>

This is total absurdity in a market economy. If Nikon does not have the capacity

to meet demand, may be they should not announce anything in the first place.

My understanding is that being a Nikon Pro gets one moved to the front of the line at certain vendors, not just for the D3, but for the D300 as well.

Whether those vendors get an early shipments of D3s corresponding to their list of certified pros or whether the vendor has to sign an agreement with Nikon stating that they will only sell their D3s to Nikon Pros, wasn't made clear by the people I've spoken with. OTOH, I didn't ask about the D3, since I am not going to buy one.

After the pro market (or, rather, the market consisting of those Nikon says are pros) is satiated, they remove purchasing restrictions on those they don't consider to be pro. As the article you cite states, the practice is not uncommon, but:

"While it's common practice in Canada for the camera maker to direct who gets a new pro-level digital SLR in the early days of its release, Nikon Canada's requirements for initial purchasers and its network of dealers are beyond what's typical. This suggests that the company is projecting that D3 supply is going to outstrip demand at a level that's also beyond what's typical."

As per this thread, however, Nikon's professional certification overall is atypical, and IMO, flawed:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00NI51

This is not entirely new. NPS members tend to have priorities for getting new, high-end models that are in short supply. Nikon would rather have them first go to pros who are actually going to use them to make a living (such as Ellis, etc.) rather than rich businessmen, doctors and lawers who are going to treat them mainly as toys. Those folks can certainly wait another 2, 3 months.

You and I may or may not like or agree to such policy. But it does make some sense. I wouldn't classify it as absurd.

Arthur,

I disagree with your position.

Yes, if I was in the market for a D3 I would love to get my hands on it on day one, but as an amateur I am not dependent on my equipment to put bread on my table. I think it is laudable for Nikon to take measures to see to it that those who do depend on their equipment to earn a living get first crack at the new equipment.

Also, I must say that your position that a manufacturer have enough product on hand at announcement time to fully satisfy demand is not, due to economic cosiderations, realistic.

"I think it is laudable for Nikon to take measures to see to it that those who do depend on their equipment to earn a living get first crack at the new equipment."

It certainly is laudable. The criticism I've read, which I agree with, is that Nikon's process for certifying pros, as opposed to, say, Canon's, is designed to frustrate the emerging, as opposed to the established, professional.

Canon or Nikon are not making their money by selling top-shelf bodies to advanced amateurs. They make their money on the high-end products when something like Getty Images, Corbis, AP, Reuters, AFP, etc. buy two of them for each staffer. In addition to every one of the 150 Getty staffers having his/her own personal 1D MK. III and 1Ds Mk. III, each one of them has their own 400 2.8, 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and 16-35 2.8. This is not pool equipment. You go into pool equipment and they have 500s, 600s, and 200 1.8s (not to mention thousands of trashed old-model bodies).

Who knows if the high-end products even pay for themselves any more. Their development and manufacture may be largely funded by D40 or point and shoot sales. But one thing for sure is that they don't need Arthur Yeo's money in the first month of release.

Keith

I think the pros are better qualified to be the bleeding edge. Only that Nikon is years behind in FF and still at lower MP than was available years ago. Thats a balanced assessment since we know Nikon may have sourcing issues with sensors, lcd screens etc. so they are constrained in what they plan as opposed to a vertically integrated electronic conglomerate like the competition.

I am just thinking of someone who was on the waiting list for a while and who learn 11 days before he is expecting his camera that there are some condition he may not match. And even so he is on the top of the waiting list, it suddenly doesn't mean anything. Shouldn't Nikon give such notice earlier in order not to frustrate so many ?

"Have you looked at Canons requiremnts? They make the ones for NPS look like a walk in the park."

I sure have, Michael Bradtke; it's posted on the thread I mentioned above. You're right: there are more variables in Canon's PS application than an inland marine insurance policy.

But there's no equipment requirement and the Canon pro doesn't have to know someone who has the secret password.

So, in spite of Canon's labyrinthine application, it would actually take me a lot longer to hunt down a certified Nikon Pro and convince him/her to type up a reference than to mail out a letter from my publisher, my tax ID number and some of my clips.

Not to mention, it would actually be possible.

While some of your comments are laudable,ie, a Pro makes his living with the equipment and therefore he has a right to it over a amateur, economists have studied such rationing practices, and they just do not work. What is to stop a Pro from buying a D 3 and/or a D 300 and then selling one of them to someone at a quick profit? What about an artist's need for satisfaction? Or a doctor's need for a cutting edge image for research? Just let those who want to pay top dollar pay it during periods of high demand and short supply. Nothing else works. Joe Smith

Arthur,

Based on the link you provided, the title of this thread is very misleading.

Nikon Canada isn't requiring NPS (Nikon Professional Services) certification to be able to purchase a Nikon D3. It's just requiring prospective purchasers to sign a customer certification form where the customer 1) agrees to buy the Nikon D3 from a Nikon authorized Canadian dealer, 2) agrees to actually use the D3 (and not resale it), and 3) agrees not to place multiple orders for the D3 from multiple Nikon dealers. The customer is also provided a space to state why he/she should have priority.

Nowhere on the form does it state that the prospective buyer has to be an NPS Pro to receive priority consideration.

So if you have another link that states this addition requirement (that the buyer needs to be an NPS Pro to receive priority status), please post it.

Thanks.

I think Nokon is concerned that they are loosing market share with professionals. They have been chasing Canon for some time now. It makes sense for them to treat pro's differently in this regard.

Another idea is the inflencer factor. If you get your new hot-shot cameras into the hands of pros they will show them off more. Hardly a day goes buy that someone doesn't ask me an equipment question. Also, professionals write the reviews. What better way to get your word out. Do you think Ken Rockwell will get a quick shot at these new bodies?

It is just a money decision. What good is scooping Canon if the people in a position to buy lots and influence others can't get the word out.

As for NPS. Much ado about nothing. Both Canon and Nikon need to review these programs. The offer too little and ask too much.

Peter,

This is from a thread concerning this issue over at Nikonians:

"Nikon has NPS and they should have used NPS as a way to distribute the cameras if they wanted them in the hands of pros. But since they make is so difficult for average professionals to gain entrance in NPS, they might have felt that they needed to change how dealers distribute. "

I think you guys MIGHT be missing something....

Pro's generally take great pictures and PUBLISH them. How many of us want to see a amature shot with a D3, and read the guy thinks is just " the bomb " over a pro taking really good pictures and running the camera through it's paces, and telling us all how this feature or that feature really works well ? Published works of a Pro turn into ADVERTISING that Nikon doesn't have to pay for !

Probably we are missing something, what if Nikon wants to add value to his products? As Mendel says, it`s absolutely stupid to alienate potential customers, but makes sense to add value to a product in order to insure a future`s position into the pro-market...

A better or exclusive service, and a "better status" amongst pros will raise brand`s prestige, thought. It can help to desire a NPS membership with all this have involved. They are spoiling them.

At this times a lot of Nikon pros are using consumer cameras to do their work (of course not sports) and it isn`t worth for a lot of them to buy a $5000 camera to do what they are aldeady doing with a $1000 or $2000 camera.

Now, with a D300 they can do it much better... they are flattening the road for potential D3 pro users.