Which projector to buy with the following specifications?

asimrazakhan

I recently submitted a question about upgrading my Pradovit P150. After doing

a bit of research, I think I'm going to try and find a better projector

altogether for my 35mm slides. There are so many projectors from so many

companies that I am left confused. So can you please help me decide on a good

projector with the following specs:

1. Should have at least a 250 Watt bulb.

2. Should have an excellent lens (I dont glass mount my slides).

3. Should have straight trays and not round ones.

4. Preferably be able to switch between 110 and 220 volts.

4. Should be preferably less than $1000 US.

I know Leica has made some amazing projectors. But they may be hard to find

now. I am willing to buy from any manufacturer as long as its a great product.

Leitz and Leica projectors are not particularly hard to find. I have two.

Straight LKM trays are so much more efficient in space and expense as compared to Carousels, IF you are planning to store slides in trays. The room required for Carousel trays is completely out of proportion with their reliability, particularly for amateur use. I store my slides in files and still enjoy the LKM trays. I have been using them since the 70's, I can't count the number of projections, and reliability has been flawless. Of course, I am assuming your slides are unmolested.

I have also used dozens of Carousel trays in my work involving presentations (back before we got digital projectors, of course). I appreciated the fact that Carousels were the standard, so I could count on businesses having one. Again, they were extremely reliable; most problems were with damaged or mistreated slides. However, we also used the stack loader.

The only tray I ever had trouble with was those verticular circular trays. I had friends with quite nice projectors of that type; they seemed to have problems with the tray moving in synchro with the slide change.

Good luck with your decision!

Asim,

I really think that you are limited to either Leitz (Leica) or Rollei.

Apart from the "dim" 150 watt bulb in your current machine, no other projector is going to give you equal let alone superior, results.

I would look for a Leitz Color 250 projector or anything more recent.

It may take a bit of searching, but I think you will be disappointed in any other purchase.

I've owned my Pradovit Color 250 with 90 mm Colorplan since new and the only "superior" transparencies I have viewed were my Contax medium format ones via a Rollie projector. However, such results were not due to the projector.

thanks guys. I'll definately be keeping an eye out for any decent projectors that come my way. does a 250 watt bulb really make a big difference?

i wonder if the pradovit p150 that i already own is a fine machine, then should i just upgrade the lens and be happy with a 150 watt bulb?

I recently bought a Leica Pradovit 600IR with Super Colorplan lens after my old Zeiss

packed up, and I am very happy with it. It is very sturdily made, with simple controls, and

the quality of projected slides is fantastic. Does a 250W bulb make a big difference? Yes,

but 150W is not too bad. A lot depends on how dark your room is and the type of screen

you use. I have a Daylite model. Of course, it's important to align the projector with the

screen carefully. Buy or build a good stand. Check out www.leicabemeister for details on

Leica projectors. The 600IR is Leica's latest top model so not the cheapest, but should last

for ages - as long as you keep using film! Compared with the quality of many digital

projectors, slides are still a real pleasure to watch.

The Ektagraphic projectors are finely made, tough machines, but in my experience the quality of the image projected is not in the same league as a top flight Leica/Leitz projector. Asim - I suggest you do a search of photonet - there are a lot of old threads on projectors in which all of this stuff is discussed.
Robin Smith