D300's availability

chanh_nguyen1

For people who want/need to get it...

I just stopped by Hooper Camera in Woodland Hills this morning and was

surprised to find out that they have a few bodies still available at $1799. The

feel of the D300 in my hands is great. The LCD looks awesome. Unfortunately I

can't justify getting one right now.

It doesn't look like availability is a problem with the D300. Looking forward

to seeing more nice pictures posted here.

I ordered late in the game (end of October) and I still haven't heard a word from Adorama... has anybody received their D300 from Adorama yet? I'm tempted to try and get a camera from one of these other sources with availability and then cancel my order from Adorama, if I don't hear something soon...

Jason,

I picked up mine from Hooper Camera in Chatsworth Wednesday & want to cancel my order with Amazon.com. They won't let me cancel my order at this time. I have a delivery date of the 18th of December, but now it seems I may get it earlier. So I'll have to try to refuse the delivery or do a return.

I've however ordered the grip from Adorama & got some notification that my order is being processed...

Lil

I ordered a few weeks ago from Adorama....What a mistake.

I was around 700 back on the list as of This past Wednesday, and they said not to expect anything until after New Year. I'm probably going to canel and order one from somewhere else.

I wasn't on any waiting lists, but I ordered one on Wednesday and it was shipped later that day. Unfortunately because of the holiday and the weekend "2nd-day air" has become 5-day wait and I won't get it until Monday.

But anyway, it doesn't look like availability is much of a problem...

j

I have to say I don't think availability will be an issue. Shun even wrote me so. As a matter of fact - - I just got notification that the camera which was supposed to show up on the 18th of Dec., shipped today. I';ll get it tomorrow or Monday. I have to refuse delivery on that one. I'm not buying two. I actually tried to stop them from shipping it, but could not do so. I have a feeling there are a lot of them around.

Lil

It is a hit and miss proposition. I also went to B&H yesterday and again today and when I tried to select "Notify when in stock" I got a message that said "Due to unprecedented consumer interest we are unable to add any additional correspondents to this list. Thank you for your understanding."

Since I would have to pay an extra $150 in sales tax if I could track it down locally or purchased it from Ritz, Best Buy, Calumet, or any other retailer that has facilities in California, I will just wait a couple of weeks. Anyway, my son and I are shooting my niece's wedding next weekend (yes, I'm the uncle with the camera), there's no point in getting the camera before that as I would not want to be test driving it under those conditions.

I'm on the waiting list for Berger Bros., and I just got off the phone with Brad there and he told me that they will probably be shipping the camera to me next week. Overall, the situation with the D300 is much better than it was with the D200 -- it appears that the hot Nikon camera this year will be the D3 and I expect that camera will be as hard or possibly even harder to get than the D200 was.

Again, Nikon USA warranties are not transferrable. If Lil gets the one from Amazon and resells it, the buyer technically has no warranty.

Since Nikon should be producing 60,000 D300's a month since late August, they should have like 150K of them at the introduction. That is why I have been saying all along that I don't expect any major D300 shortage. If anything, availability seems to be an ever smaller problem than what I thought. News apreads fast. You can't count on people being stupid enough to bit on them at $2225 or anything over $1800.

<i>You can't count on people stupid enough to bid on them at $2225 <b>or anything over $1800</b>.</i><P>

Apparently Cameta can!<P>

5 - D300's (body only) sold last 2 days, all with a starting bid of $0.99. Final prices from $1962 - $2325 (average $2130). Just as there is no real shortage of D300's, apparently the same applies to stupidity on eBay. ;-)

8:10 am, Black Friday........

Put a call in to the local Ritz Camera shop in the mall 3mins from where I used to live in Columbia, MD.

Was SHOCKED to hear they had 5 D300 bodies available. Was down there 10mins after the phone call, believe me!! Bought the 1st of the 5, with a free copy of Capture NX. Sweet!!

Been meaning to step up from my D80 to a D200, but paused when I first heard about the D300 months ago.

Glad I held back. This is one lovely camera. Feels great to handle, with direct access to all the primary attributes (ISO, WB, etc) i.e No menu hunting.

Xmas came a little early. Excuse my exuberance, folks. I'm off to play with this thing!!

Sure Cameta can. If nobody bids at their auction at above $1800, they'll sell it at $1800 or even a bit lower as the D300's price eventually drops, probably sooner than a lot of us think. However, Lil can't or she'll be selling it at a loss on a camera that has no warrenty for anybody else, which makes it hard for her to compete against Cameta. IMO cancelling or returning the Amazon order is a far better choice.

I just went to my local store, K&S in Palo Alto, California. They have the D300 + 18-135 kits in stock, although they are currently out of the D300, body only. The manager there told me that the first shipment was so large that it instantly fulfilled their entire waiting list. They tried to convince me to get either the kit immediately or put down a $500 deposit for the body only. I, of course, would rather keep my options open and declined.

I hope we all get used to the new way Nikon is doing business. They are a much smarter company than the one that watched its own technology and market share fall way behind in the last decade or two.

11/23, 5 PM: my local store in the boondocks had four D300's - once I saw then I called Ritz and canceled my order and bought the last one (they were selling the body for $1749!). None on the big stores had them in stock when I looked yesterday morning. Stay local, it's better for the local economy anyway.... not only has that worked for the D300, it has also worked for my 18-200VR when it was 'sold out'.

11/24, 9 PM: Love the D300 - probably should sell my 'good old' (<1 year) D80, it will collect dust....