New DSLR for Indoor Sports (to Shun Cheung)

juan monino

Hi Shun

you are one of the very few I trust respecting Nikon systems opinions

I own a D2X, a D200 and an S5 Fuji

I recently got my 24-70 2.8 new nikon lens (by the way, very low distortion compared with the 15-55 2.8

dx). I am planning to purchase the new 12-24 2.8 when available.

I note that the D2x gives me much better quality pictures than the D200 but when I go over 400 ISO I get

unacceptable levels of noise on my D2X. I do a lot of sport photography inside a Basketball gym and I can

not use flash. One of the reasons I bought the S5 (beside the dynamic range advantages) is the fact that I

can shoot at 3200 ISO with certain almost acceptable levels of noise but still I am not happy with the

results since I get lot of artifacts.

My questions are the following:

It is worth the new 12-24 2.8 for the price compared with the sigma, tokina and tamron equivalents?

would you purchase it yourself?

regarding cameras...which way should I go now? 1 D300 and 1 D3 or two D3s? I need to purchase 2

cameras ASAP since my actual gear needs urgent service from Nikon. I also do a lot of work for stock

photo and they are very picky regarding artifacts and noise.

Thank you for your time

Juan Monino

Juan, first of all, I too have the D2X and D200, but I saw the D300, 24-70 and 14-24 for the first time two days ago, and I still have never seen a D3. In other words, I have either no or limited experiences with the new cameras and lenses.

If you shoot a lot of low-light indoor sports, the D3 should meet your needs very well. Once you get the D3 and you need to shoot really wide, the 14-24mm/f2.8 AF-S is great. We reaently have two threads discussing the 14-24. It has a very convex front element such that there is no front filter thread and the lens hood is permanently fixed on the lens to protect the front. Even so, IMO it is going to be fairly easy to scratch the front element on that lens. I would think about that for sports use. Do you really need to go that wide?

Perhaps the 17-35mm/f2.8 AF-S is all you need and you may already have that lens.

If you get the D3, it'll eliminate most of the other wide choices since those are DX lenses. The Sigma 12-24mm is full frame, but it is very slow.

I may be difficult to find a D3 in the near future though. As starters, it is not released yet. My Nikon rep says he is not sure exactly when the release date is. However, Nikon USA is "over-nighting" a lot of D300's to various dealers today (Monday, Nov 19). So D300's should be available within a few days, at least to those who got into waiting lists early.

The D300 should be a fine sports DSLR also, but I wouldn't depend on its ISO 3200 performance. 1600 should be fine.

Also see this article by Thom Hogan:

http://www.bythom.com/d3ord300.htm

There is already another thread discussing it.

In any case, I think it is risky to use all new equipment at once.

If at all possible, I would say send one of your old camers into for service at a time. If you have NPS, it should take no more than a few days.

Thank you Shun

I heard new lenses do not need a protective filter since they are constructed in a way that it

is almost impossible to get scratches unlike the old models that had an outside emulsion that

is lost with the use and when lens is being cleaned. Some photographers say that shooting

with a filter is like shooting through a window glass. I do not now, that why I ask

I have posted this image of the 14-24 before. If I ever get one, I'll buy an additional dedicated lens cap so that in case I lose the cap, I'll always have a spare. However, if you shoot inside gym a lot in a basetball setting, IMO it is a matter of time that you'll demage the front element. As long as you don't mind the repair bill, that is fine.<div>00NMwa-39891184.jpg.dda055064a28b0e6ccf0f1997eb0d79f.jpg</div>

I always carry 2 cameras to every assignment, my son recently joined me therefore we are

already short of one camera when we both go to different assignment as the same time. S5

software when "nuts" so i have to always shoot in manual mode, D200 little top LCD screen

broke due that camera fall from a table and D2x act weird with some lenses and sb800 flash.

I can no t afford to have a camera problem in an assignment and do not have a back up, it

could be devastating.

thanks shun, the 12-24 would probably be used for weddings more than sports (unless I

need to have a team of kids posing for a group shot), anyway I have not decided yet to

purchase this lens.

The D3 ISO features opens a door for night baseball shots with a 200-500 f4 since hopefully

I will be able to shoot at least at 1/1000 of a second at f4 ISO 6400. I might purchase a

D300 while the D3 becomes available. Thanks again for your help

If you need cameras quickly, it should be a lot easier to get a D300 in the near future. Perhaps get one of those first and get your existing cameras fixed in tandum, and eventually get a D3. See, it is very easy for me to spend someone else's money. :-)

Your risk is that eventually each one of you will wait your own D3.

Just wanted to add that I got a call from my local camera store this morning at 9am. Hooper Camera will have the D300 delivered on Wednesday.

If you need a camera fast, will be able to do 8fps, better low light than D200 & D2Xs (reportedly as we really don't know) you may be in luck for one of them as of this week.

Lil