NEED HELP FAST!

living

Ok, I decided to try this sensor clean on my EOS 20 D. And I was wondering how

long it will take to finish because I started at like 2:30PM and it is now

8:35PM and the battery is dying. And in the manual it says if the battery dies

it will harm my shutter curtain and the sensor..........well, it says it MAY

harm it. But I left the lens on as well........will that affect the cleaning

process. Should I just shut the camera off? What should I do?

You have to physically clean the glass on front of the sensor. The cleaning process is done

by you or whomever you take the camera to have cleaned.

I've only cleaned the sensor of my 20D once in 4 years. Perhaps one reason is I'm not

changing lenses very often.

At any rate, the actual cleaning process needs to be done by someone.

the only loss I suffered was a slaughtered battery-:P

I've never dealt with any sensor situation before so when I read the manual it sounded as if the camera had some built in brush that cleaned it for you......maybe that's the 30D. Well......once again, thanks to all!

Correy.

BTW: Don't touch it and let the battery die is OK too. As long as your finger or tools is not inside where the mirror or shutter curtain is, no harm will come (to the camera). And as long as you charge the battery in a reason-able time frame. I don't think battery like to be fully discharge for too long.

Correy, don`t just clean the sensor unless its really necessary, to determine this take a pic of a white piece of paper with a aperture of about f22' the dust or anything else will show up. if you don`t see those spots at normal apertures f4~f8. then leave it be. I have 1 spot in an area never shows cept if sky is on that area, stamped by PS easily no hassles. removed 1 hair in 3yrs pro use.

HTH

As you now realise, the sensor clean facility simply puts the mirror up and opens the shutter to give access to the sensor. Turning the camera off restores normality. Your 20D does not have the ultrasonic sensor cleaning now apparently standard.

There are some very simple rules about sensor cleaning.

1. NEVER EVER USE CANNED AIR. It contains propellant that can land on the sensor and leave marks.

2. Buy a good quality blower (the fairly substantial type known as a "rocket blower" is ideal) and use it with no brush attached to blow dust off the sensor. Don't poke the nozzle of the blower into the mirror box.

3. Er ... that's it. At least, it is for me - I have never needed to wet-clean a sensor. If I could not keep it clean with a blower I would probably buy one of the special-purpose antistatic brushes like Arctic Butterfly and try that, and if that did not do the job I would almost certainly get it wet-cleaned by a technician. I strongly suspect that wet-cleaning sensors, like wet-cleaning lenses, is to be avoided whenever possible and can cause more harm than good. Most dust of the kind that might get anywhere near the sensor is not itself sticky, but if amateur cleaning has left some residue on the sensor, any kind of dust might well stick to that, requiring further wet cleaning, and a vicious cycle becomes established.

Hi,

Canon sells an AC power kit that is the safe and proper way to clean the sensor. With it you aren't relying on battery power. One part of the kit is a power supply/converter appropriate for whatever country it's sold in. The other part is an adapter that replaces the battery in the camera, which is different depending upon the particular camera (the one I have is for any Canon using BP511/BP512/BP511A, for example).

The risk addressed in the manuals to is to the mirror/shutter. If the battery dies or you accidentally turn off the camera while reaching in there, the shutter or mirror might snap down on whatever tool you are using, and damage can result from that.

By all means, get a "rocket blower" to gently puff dust off the sensor yourself. This can be done quickly, so is probably safe with fully charged batteries.

For more extensive/proper/wet cleaning, in most cases I'd highly recommend you take any camera that's out of warranty to a local camera technician. If it's still in warranty, take it or send it to Canon Service, so as not to void the warranty. Most techs are totally up to speed on sensor cleaning now, and most will have some expertise that helps avoid problems (certain cleaning fluids are not recommended for 5D, for example, can actually damage coatings on the anti-alias filter in front of the sensor).