F90X versus F80

walterh

Hello - I am just trying to sell my F90X (I think US-model is F90N). I run into

the problem that I have to compare it's features to the D80. Does anybody have

(knows) both models and can you point me to the relevant features? The possible

buyer owns a D80. Differences in automatic programs are not relevant since he is

familiar with shooting techniques and will primarily shoot manual and A priority

mode. I always liked the F90X as a capable camera but if the the D80 is more

modern and advanced so be it ^^.

No I am not going out of film completely, just making room for D300 or D3^^.

I still like BW silver based film and some specialty negative color films.

Cheers.

Walter.

I'm a bit confused as to whether you are talking about the DSLR D80 or the film F80. I have

both plus the F90X & would definitely say that the F90X is a better camera than the F80 -

build, autofocus speed & general feel.

It's difficult to compare the F90X to the DSLR D80. They are great cameras & I like both.

The D80 is smaller & lighter. The main difference that I have noticed is the number of

autofocus points. The F90X has one in the centre, while the D80 has several (I don't know

the exact number off hand).

I hope this is of help.

Tom

The biggest difference, since he shoots primarily in manual or aperture priority, is likely to be that the N90s (F90x) is NOT compatible with G lenses in those two exposure modes, while the D80 (or film F80) are.

If the potential buyer is currently using a D80 or F80, there's probably a pretty good chance that he also owns some G lenses, and they can only be used in P or S mode on a F90x.

The F90x/N90s has only 1 AF point, 1 command dial and the aperture follower tab. Therefore, the F90x can meter with no-CPU lenses (center weighted or spot, but no matrix), not fully compatible with G lenses (P and S modes only) and has no VR capability. Since it uses AA batteries, that should be an advantage over the F80.

The F80/N80 cannot meter with no-CPU lenses but is fully compatible with G lenses and VR lenses.

Both can drive AF-S lenses and have the in-body AF motor to drive AF lenses that are not AF-S.

I would emphasis that the F90 family can drive AF-S while the earlier F801/N8008 cannot.

Thanks! This is the sort of info I was looking for because it can be found in principle in the manuals but is not so easy to extract.

Yes I am talking about the two film cameras. And I learned that the US model corresponding to the F90X is the N90S. So in conclusion it seems that it does not make sense to replace the F80 by the F90X but it might be a nice second body given the currently low prices ("peanuts").

Am I right assuming that there is little difference in the flash system? Both use the latest pro-iTTL system?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Walter

I have both cameras.

The n90s is heavier, bigger, has faster autofocus in low light, better weather sealing and uses AA batteries. Bigger and better viewfinder.

The n80 is lighter, has multiple focus points so it can use VR lenses, has a dial on the body so it can use G lenses. And it has a built in flash.

Honestly, of the two, I used my n90s a ton more than the n80.