Getting started Photoshop CS3

I love reading all of the posts on Photo.net. These forums have been so

informative in helping me find the answers to so many questions.

I find myself in a real mess. I have been excited to get started using

Photoshop. I purchased the software 3 months ago but I am having a hard time

getting started with it. This is far different from anything I have ever used

before.

I would love to hear from anyone who has recently begun using it and having

success with it. How do you get started?

I have purchased a book by Adobe called Adobe CS3 Classroom in a Book, but this

does not seem to tell me what I am interested in. I want to use the software to

edit my photographs, not do digital scrapbooking.

Thanks,

Two suggestions: 1) Try Lynda.com training. I haven't yet, but I've heard it's really good and

very reasonable. 2) Join the National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP). For $99

per year, you get a superb photoshop (and Lightroom) magazine ("Photoship User") each

month that is very educational, plus a lot of on-line resources for learning photoshop (and

you get lots of discounts from retail outlets; I saved about $600 when I purchased two Apple

computer systems).

Ted,

I hit that same wall. I tried Lynda.com and I literally fell asleep before i learned anything. The tutorial I signed up for spent way too much time trying to go over basics like the the definitions of pixels and dots and blah, blah, blah.

I also agree with you about the Adobe books. They seem to take a shotgun approach as to who is reading them so there is a little about photography, a little about graphic design... I love your analogy of "digital scrapbooking"! That is exactly what their books are like.

I took a couple of 1-day courses at a place in Sarasota, Florida. They are called Digital Technology Centre. Here is a link: http://digitaltechnologycentre.blogspot.com/

I found them on the Adobe website. I took the Lightroom class and the Photoshop for Photographers class. Now whenever I talk to another Adobe user I sound like a genius because these guys teach based on the latest tools in photoshop.

Plan your next vacation to Sarasota and while the kids are screaming on the beach you will be on your way to becoming a true Photoshop jockey!

Before you can use Photoshop well for whatever you wish to do, first you must have the patience to learn about all its tools and experiment with them. The CS3 Bible book would be one example of a book that could guide you through this. I would suggest browsing through a few different books at your local bookstore and pick whatever clicks with you. If its been months and you're "in a real mess". This means you are going much too fast and ignoring the basics.

"I would love to hear from anyone who has recently begun using it and having success with it. How do you get started?"

Leaving aside whether I am having success with it, I am fairly new to the programme.

For me, the key has been to work on photographs that I care about with a good size, calibrated monitor, a decent printer and a selection of paper.

When I'm working on a real photograph, it's great to be able to turn to the various books that I have for assistance. Read on their own, without reference to photos that I want to print, it is very theoretical.

Photoshop "bibles" are filled with a lot of "how to" but not enough "why". Depending on your needs and interest, other books may be of more help.

I particularly like "Adobe Photoshop CSx for Photographers" by Martin Evening. He leads you through the latest features, followed by ways to do things photographers have done for over 100 years, only electronically. He has a good, if not comprehensive explanation of various image formats and color management.

I don't know about their website from personal experience, but the books published by lynda.com are extraordinary. The style is project-oriented, similar to the Adobe "Classroom in a Book" series, but more comprehensive and applicable to everyday usage. [i fall asleep reading the "Classroom" books - have'em all, never finished one yet.]

Everything contributed in this forum thread is exactly what I would say. In the "old days" we would get a manual and go through it from page 1 to the end. There's a lot to be said for that. Kelby's writing style is unique. If you go very slowly, it is OK, but as a reference it is frustrating. Martin Evening's book is good. You and I both have to go back and learn the basics very slowly and carefully. Trying to jump ahead and do something is very difficult. Photoshop is probably the most powerful software of any type available to consumers. It makes programming Visual Basic in Excel seem simple. I like to learn one-on-one from someone. Your learning style is important here. I don't like large-group instruction in photoshop, for example, but obviously others do. Slow down, be patient. Start at the beginning and just plod through. You are not alone! Cheers

You might check with local camera shops to see if there are any recommend local Photoshop

classes. For example, we have a very good one here in the Phoenix Area, that does both

beginners classes, and advanced classes. This particular one is 3 hours a night, one day a

week, for 5 weeks, and everyone here that has taken it raves about it. HTH

What helped me was learning a basic workflow. Fortunately, another photog, who probably

knew only a little more than I did, was a willing teacher. Fortunately what she did know, was

exactly what I needed to know. After that it was just a matter of practicing.

Check your area for photography clubs. One of the members might be willing to help you

out for a few hours. Local classes, as has been suggested, are also a good idea.

Ted,all the Adobe books are great, there is a wealth of info out there,

Start <a href=http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html/>Here</a>

I would recomend taking small steps, learn how to make your own workspace, then learn the tools, then layers, etc. Once you get the basics down it will become easier.I tried to learn 6 by hammering it every waking moment and it will burn you out. The one thing that really helped me was a set of cd's made my a company called Learn Key.

The PS for photographers books are very helpful. For me, the best way to start was to play with the program and manuals a little, then take for-credit PS classes at a community college. As said above, it takes a substantial commitment of interest, time and effort. Good luck.