f-stop scale for G-Claron 9/270

friedemann_pistorius

Friederman,

easiest way is to:

1: Calculate the f-stops, and write down the aperture for each.

2: Put a piece of masking tape on the aperture area of the shutter, and mark the screw locations, so you can remove it, make a nicer scale and replace it in the exact same place.

3: Using a digital caliper with the lens held at arms length, looking through the front element, close the aperture ring until the iris blades just start to enter the circle, make a mark, this is your f9 mark.

4: Preset the caliper to the next aperture diameter, f11 (which would be 270/11 millimeters)

5: slowly close the aperture control until the apparent (viewed from arms length) diameter of the iris is measured at 24.5mm, make a mark.

6: repeat until done, then either label the apertures on the shutter or make a nicer looking one.

It's really not all that hard, and while the purists would scoff at the supposed inaccuracy, your shutter speeds are probably off more than the 5% or so that you may be. It's all about reasonable compromises. (or you can pay SK Grimes a bit of money to do pretty much the same thing, though they do good work, and they do supply engraved scales, I'd rather spend the money on film)

erie

I've made some nice looking scales for some of my lenses using Adobe Photoshop.

Use the tape method described above, then match the measurements in Photoshop and print

it out. Print on thick paper, then cover it with clear plastic tape, and screw it on.

If your lens is in a modern shutter with a linear aperture scale, it can be even easier than the method erie describes. Find the f9 point on the scale as instructed above, then just use the existing marks to figure out where the other f-stops are relative to the f9 position. I found that I could see the aperture blades almost right after moving the pointer from the wide open position, so I used f5.6 on the old scale as my f9 mark. Next I'll print an adhesive strip with the new numbers and just cover up the number part of the old scale.

Put tape on the shutter, use your SLR camera with an lens with correct aperture, 50mm?. Measure the time at f11 against an even background with non-flimmering, non-changing light upon it. Use your SLR inside the camera at correct focus distance, cover for stray light. Adjust the aperture on your G-Claron untill you have the same shutter speed as with the 50mm, set a mark on the tape. Adjust the aperture so you have half the speed, and continue.

The best is to have a SLR with a needle who measures perfect.

عvind:D