Poor Nikon Warranty

marcus_andrewes

I'm sure that this question has been asked - but I cannot find the answer.

Why is the warranty on Nikon gear so poor? Why are we accepting of that?

I am thinking of buying a D3 and a 200-400 nikkor. Both very expensive bits of kit - especially in New

Zealand, where Nikon stuff is easily 30% more expensive than the USA.

Nikon NZ's importer advise that the D3 warranty will only be honoured in the country of purchase.

As a professional user, I find this reprehensible. What happens if I buy a D3 (price not yet released in NZ

but likely to be US$6500 at least) and it fails on assignment in Canada (say)? Am I expected to pay for the

repair just because I happened to be doing my job overseas at the time? Nikon NZ say that that is the case.

Neither can I reclaim the cost from Nikon NZ on my return, apparently - even though they would have paid

for the repair if I had been at home!

I have a couple of Leica M series cameras - both of which had 2 year International warranties that Leica

willingly honour anywhere in the world.

It seems ludicrous that Nikon take such a mealy-mouthed stance. Surely, if they issued the Pro equipment

with a special "Pro Warranty" that was valid worldwide, it would do their sales nothing but good? Cost

would probably be small - the gear does not fail often - but enhanced reputation would follow!

The odd thing is that lenses and film cameras DO have international warranty - so a cynic might suggest

that Nikon only do this to protect the ability to overcharge customers in some markets.....!

I heard somewhere that Canon do something like this for pro users who own a minimum number of pro

items - and include loan cameras to finish your work if need be. Not sure if that is so - but it is a great

marketiung idea if it is.

To demonstrate the stupidity, in NZ$ prices, the 200 - 400 is $4000 cheaper in the USA than NZ. Anyone

guess where I will be buying mine?!

Marcus,

I've read on DPR some time ago that Pros can get some form of special warranty which allow them service anywhere in the world. But don't ask me how it works.

Maybe someone of the big pros on this site knows the specifics. If I've mixed up information I'm sorry, but I'm fairly sure. Unfortunately I suffer from severe chronic headaches & today I've been having a very bad day. But something in the back of my head rings a bell.

The lenses come with worldwide warranty though. I understand Canon do not supply as long time period for their lenses.

For my D300 I've bought a 4 year extended warranty through amazon.com - - but like you write. That's hardly going to help me if I go out of the country. For which reason I'm planning to for now keep my D200. Then there's the fact that I ended up with a N90s film camera which I can also carry along as a backup. Won't be able to use all my lenses I'm sure, but I actually don't know that for a fact. That's what I need to check into. I have lenses which I know will work on it, but I have a few I have a feeling won't work on it.

Lil

Quote: "To demonstrate the stupidity, in NZ$ prices, the 200 - 400 is $4000 cheaper in the USA than NZ. Anyone guess where I will be buying mine?!" That's exactly why the warranty is restricted to the country you bought the gear in. Everything else is considered gray import and no manufacturer (not only Nikon) will give you a warranty. If this were not the case, everybody would buy their gear in the US.

ps: I wouldn't think twice where to buy a lens that's $4k cheaper in the US - you can always buy a warranty from B&H!

I forgot to add that in the EU they have to honour warranty from any other EU country

because EU law makes it illegal not to do so.

So they can do it - but clearly won't unless legislated against.

I will probably buy both the D3 and the lens overseas - if I save upwards of $5000 I can

certainly FedEx it back to Nikon USA a few times before I loose money!!

Juergen is exactly right. Since Nikon items are so much cheaper in the US compared to in New Zealand or most places in Europe, if everybody buys from the US, Nikon New Zealand or Europe will make no money from selling products. That in itself means it'll be difficult for Nikon New Zealand or Europe to survive. If on top of that they also have to provide free warranty repair on products they make no money from, they'll go out of business in no time.

Well, can Nikon sell the same product at the same price everywhere in the world? Of course not. The tax system is different, the labor cost is different .... For example, labor is a lot cheaper in Thailand than in Japan. That is why Nikon sets up a factory in Thailand in the first place.

I seem to remember in the past year calling Canon with a similar issue. Their response was the same. Warranty is good in country of origin. In fact, it seems like (for P&S cameras at least) that policy is standard. IIRC Casio honors warranty from any country lol. Honestly I don't like it anymore than you do but that seems to be how they want the cake the fall.

CRK

A very long time ago I was a member of Nikon Professional Services. I thought they still

had something like that now. I wonder if it has more comprehensive warranties?

Yes, I just looked it up: http://www.nikonpro.com/

Well spotted Michael - they certainly keep that quiet! Looking at it, it sounds like the kind

of thing that is intended to primarily benefit users in the USA, although it does not actually

say that. Annoyingly there is no email contact for the Pro people - a bit backwards in 2007

I would say.

Maybe I'll send them snail mail and see what happens!

John, manufacturing labor cost was not what I was talking about.

Keep in mind that manufacturing cost is typically 1/4 to 1/3 of the final cost of any product. Once it arrives the destination, the labor cost to handle it from the loading dock to the retailer's shelf is very different from country to country.

In particular, we are talking about warranty service here. That is usually handled locally, and the labor cost for the technicians are very different from place to place.

This same topic has been debated quite a few times in this forum, and the same IMO bogus arguments have also been given over and over. Frankly, given their high prices, I have a hard time understanding how Nikon Europe can survive. By the same token, the labor force in Japan is clearly threatened by those in Thailand, China, etc. Those are complex, international issues that are way beyond the scope of this forum. We are clearly not going to solve it here.

Generally, if you are a traveling photographer on assignment, Nikon (in whatever country you are in on a temporary basis) will honor your warranty. If, to save $$$$s, you elect to buy a Nikon USA product and have the item shipped to your home country (NZ,) then the warranty service in NZ would not be available.

Nikon works to earn a profit: keeping a service center in different countries allows Nikon to 'fund' the centers with the added-on price of goods sold there.

By way of extra interest, I was quoted the equivalent of NZ$7500 for the 200-400 by a

Vancouver dealer - as oppposed to NZ$10,000 which is the cheapest quote here.

Also, the lens would apparently have a 5 year Nikon Canada warranty - whereas the NZ

product has only 1 year!

With regard to funding repairs from the added on price, that would suggest that a repair in

NZ costs so much when compared to Canada that $2500 needs to be budgeted to cover

the cost....!!

I still like the idea of a basic 12 month international warranty for ALL products, with an

optional Apple Care style product that can be purchased to provide Nikon-approved

extended cover.

If I were on Nikon's board, I'd really WANT that to explored so that we looked innovative

and customer-centric.

I would look into an additional warranty. I know that is B.S. having to buy another warranty, but I have done that on a few expensive lenses just in case. It seems manufacturers love to find ways to not pay for repairs, and I have heard Nikon is especially bad. You could always wait to send it in when you get back. Chances are if you have problems in another country, unless you have a couple of weeks to wait, it won't get fixed in time anyway. I agree that they should give their "pro level" equipment the highest level of service. The average pro spends thousands on equipment, it makes perfect business sense to keep them happy.