Power pack for SB 800

linda_atwood

I need to get a power pack for my SB 800 flash unit. My pro friends use

Quantum packs, but when I talked to my local camera shop they said I should

use a Nikon product on my flash because the Quantum could harm it. But,what

are my choices in Nikon packs (if any) for all day flash availability?

The Nikon SD-8A, see page 113 in SB-800 manual for capability. Doubles the flashes to 300, cuts recycle time to half, at 1/3 the price and near the same performance as the Quantum. Runs on 6 AA cells, easy to provide, but downside is that the 10 of them will be a lot to keep charged.

Any rapid firing can damage the flash tube, Quantum power, or Nikon power, or the standard four AA cells too. Memorize page 51 of the SB-800 manual. :)

The Quantum Turbo ( or the similar high voltage packs like the Dyna-Lite Jackrabbit or the Digital Camera Battery) can kill your flash -- if you are one of those guys who regularly shoot dozens of full or near full power shots in a few minutes .

I have never liked the smaller Quantum units (like the Bantam) which require you to put some sort of insert into the battery compartment.

I've own both the Turbo and the Lumedyne mini-cyclers.

I prefer the Lumedynes, in size, recharge time, and weight. This is compared to a standard size turbo.

Both units use the same cord from flash to pack, which is nice if you have both, it makes switching really easy. The Lumedynes are actually cheaper too, which is an added bonus.

I regularly shoot sequences with mine, without a problem (10-20 frames at a time with short breaks in between the next sequence) and haven't had a problem. As with any flash, if you're firing away on it heavilly you're going to kill it.

I haven't messed with the new turbos at all (smaller size), so I can't speak for them. I've had my Turbo for over ten years, and replaced the cell twice, for $35 each time. It's a work horse.

I have both the Quantum Turbo Battery and the SD-8A. The SD-8A was given to me so I decided to test it out before I bought another Turbo. Both work great on my SB-800's. The only thing about the SD-8A is that it has two cords. One of the cords goes into the front of the SB-800 and then the other cord of the 8A goes into the same pc connection on the flash where I plugin my Pocket Wizard. The crucial cord of the 8A is the one that plugs into the flash and I let the other cord just sort of dangle when my pocket wizard is hooked up to the flash. Not having that other little cord plugged in to the pc connection of the flash doesn't seem to effect the flash recycling or the ability to use the 8A in my experience. I think the pc connection from the 8A just does something like confirm the flash. At least that was the best answer I found when I was searching for the answer to why there were two cords on the 8A. Apparently the pc cord is not necessary to make the SB-800 work with the batteries.

I have both the Quantum Turbo and a Lumedyne battery. Yes, you can theoretically overheat and damage any flash by firing it too many times too quickly, and a battery pack that lets you recycle quickly make it easier to do that. But it takes an awful lot of full power flashes fired awfully fast to do that. To make a broad statement that you "should use a Nikon product on my flash because the Quantum could harm it" shows that the guy at the camera store doesn't know what he's talking about. Here in Washington, virtually every flash being used by virtually every news photographer is powered by a Turbo or the equivalent whether it's made by Nikon, Canon, Vivitar or others. And I don't see anybody tossing burned out flashes in the trash.

"I was searching for the answer to why there were two cords on the 8A"

Nikon SD-8A was introduces to the market some 37 years ago, and is usable today. The dingling little extra PC cable has no use on SB-800. One cable provides high voltage, the other did provide low voltage for cameras/flashes that needed that, some years ago. SB-800 requires in-body batteries and provides low voltage already.

I regularly use both the Quantum Turbo Compact (which attaches to the bottom of my camera) or the Turbo 2x2, which sits on my waist, to power my SB-800. I've done innumerable weddings with this combination and have never damaged my SB. Then again, I don't typically fire off lots of shots at one time. Once in a while, a few quick ones, but usually there is time between most of the shots. I'm a devoted Quantum user. Never a problem.

I regularly use both the Quantum Turbo Compact (which attaches to the bottom of my camera) or the Turbo 2x2, which sits on my waist, to power my SB-800. I've done innumerable weddings with this combination and have never damaged my SB. Then again, I don't typically fire off lots of shots at one time. Once in a while, a few quick ones, but usually there is time between most of the shots. I'm a devoted Quantum user. Never had a problem.

>>With lithiums, they recycle almost immediately.

It is interesting that page 19 of the SB-800 manual shows lithiums have a little more life capacity, but have about twice as long recycle time as NiMh cells. Higher internal resistance I assume.

Is Nikon wrong?

Those times are speaking of a full power recycle, and of course low power partial recycle would be very fast in any case.