D300 Bait &Switch -- Well, Not Exactly

shojin

Last week my local pro shop said that they were expecting body-only packages

this week... Today, I heard from my local pro shop that that Nikon has shipped

D300+lens kits instead of the body-only packages and that I should expect my

body in December!!! Anyone else experiencing this bait and switch?

I'm bummed!

I am not sure that the store has full control of what Nikon delivers to them, especially for something so new. I would rather give them the benefit of the doubt. It is also possible that the store got mixed up.

As far as I can tell, supply for the D300 will not be a major issue. If you can't even wait a couple of weeks, I would try to find a D300 body only from somewhere else.

I understand that dealers don't control when and what gets shipped and I'm not blaming my dealer. I will gladly wait for what should be a great new camera; I just got excited when I started seeing posts and hearing that the D300's had shipped.

According to my local Nikon rep (Northern California), Nikon USA started shipping D300's earlier today (Monday). The stores should have them on Tuesday or Wednesday. It looks like there is plenty of supply. I really doubt that there will be any major shortage. You may need to wait a few days initially, but it won't be a long wait.

Shun -

From what you're saying it sounds like Nikon finally got the supply / demand thing figured out. I'm hoping that this is true and we don't repeat the D70, D200, and 18-200 VR (Remember when they were selling for $1000.00 new because everyone wanted one and there were none around?)

Now if they got that right, I hope they've got the quality thing figured out too...(Remember the initial batch of D200's?)

Don't get me wrong - I love Nikon - but there are days when I wonder who's in charge of the ship.

Dave

Don't get me wrong, I love Nikon and have owned and used almost every one from the origional F, but, I think your guys are crazy not to give Nikon at least three months to get the D300 sorted out. Nikon has a long history of releasing halfed-baked cameras. I would be esepcially careful of any camera company trying to rush something out for Christmas.

Sanford...

I bought 2 D200s when they first came out. And another one about 6-8 months later. No problems.

I bought a D80 that was manufactured when they first came out and another that was manufactured many months later. No problems.

I bought a D40 when it first came out. No problems.

Thanks for the wise words Wayne!

I have to admit that I've been feeling a little frenzied. But part of the reason is that I destroyed by current main camera and don't have a digital right now (shooting film) and am like a pixal junkie needing my digifix!

I don't know - $1700.00 for something I haven't seen in person, handled, or even read one user report of a production model is just too risky for someone with my luck. I've been waiting for the D200 upgrade and even have a nice Leica M6 set aside for trade-in, but I gotta wait...

Marketing is a wonderful thing. Create mystery, need, frenzy, rumors, speculation, and an incurable itch to buy. Hence, movie trailers. Looks great, you gotta see it, then once you do. . .ah, I wish I could have tried it out first (agree with Sanford).

However, most likely I will get a couple of D300's after I try them out.

For now, I will continue to make a living with those nasty, noisy, AF problematic D200's.

<I>"Today, I heard from my local pro shop that that Nikon has shipped D300+lens kits

instead of the body-only packages and that I should expect my body in December!!!

Anyone else experiencing this bait and switch?"</I><P>

You need to ask your dealer about why they only ordered D300 + lens kits. I just came

back from PPR in Atlanta (http://www.ppratlanta.com ) and they got their first 6 D300

bodies in today: These were bodies only, not kits. <P>

I asked the manager about the "Nikon only shipping kits" at first story and was told that

dealers had the option of ordering kits as well as just bodies. Clearl ythat is an option your

dealer opted for.

David -

"For now, I will continue to make a living with those nasty, noisy, AF problematic D200's."

I'm with you... just found out that National Camera got a "huge" shipment of D300's in yesterday and filled all of their backorders except for 15-20. No word on next shipment, but they did ask if I wanted to be put on the list. :-)

It's amazing how when something new comes along, that thing that we've been working with for 2 - 3 years suddenly loses it's luster and now it's just not quite good enough anymore. Sigh... Almost enough to make me think that Ken Rockwell is right when he says "Your Camera doesn't Matter!"

Dave

I can confirm that Nikon is shipping D300 Bodies besides D300 kits.

I got my D300 (body only) today, Wednesday, from my local Nikon dealer.

While I was in the store, I saw three other people receiving their Nikon D300 (body only). I didn't see anyone who had purchased a D300 kit, though.

Well if this isn't a pleasently confounding thing... yesterday my dealer (who ordered 10 bodies) told me Nikon had informed them that they would be receiving the kits first and the bodies in December. Today, I got a call that they had received 6 bodies and 1 kit... and that I got one. All my whining over nothing.