CF card failure?

mark_howe

Tagging on to the recent thread about card problems, I have just found that images on my card that

were readable 2 days ago, are no longer and just display as an unreadable CRW file, time and date

intact but will not open.

Have tried recovery programmes to no avail.

The card is a Sandisk Extreme 3 2Gb card. Is it likely to be a faulty card or faulty writer in the Eos 10D?

ANy thoughts?

Thanks

Mark

"Tagging on to the recent thread about card problems"

1. I don't understand. Is that somehow relevant to your problems? Turning to which...

2. "ANy thoughts?" More data needed. Could be a defective card, especially if its not an authentic SanDisk. And/or it could be how the card was treated. For example, I generally shoot, download and reformat all in the same day except when I'm traveling. But if the card got near a magnet... I don't know, I'm just pointing out anything is possible. It could also be your reader has a loose contact. Make sure the reader isn't near a bunch of other electrical cords or gear when you're using it, although this possibility is a longshot.

You should test the card more thoroughly. Reformat, shot a bunch of crap and download it at once. If that doesn't work, it could be a bad card and/or your 10D, although I've never heard of a case where the camera itself was a source of trouble.

OTOH, if it works, put the card somewhere secure and don't move it. Then keep trying to download each successive day to see how it goes. If the card goes bad after a week or so, you know its defective. But if not, then maybe it was a one-time thing.

Try using it again, and if the problem recurs, then maybe its something in how you handle it.

Of course, cards are pretty cheap nowadays, so I'd probably get a new one from a good source like B&H or Adorama or local camera store just in case I really needed a reliable storage device.

Thanks for some of that. Yes of course the current thread about card issues is relevant,

but no-one seemed to report this problem whereby images that read ok one day, have

corrupted the next. Also no-one reported any problems with recovery software not

helping one jot. In fact, the software that comes with genuine Sandisk cards could find no

crw files on the card and would only "recover" jpeg thumbnails which it turned into

whopping 5.5Mb files. The card does actually have around 100 crw files on it!

Any thoughts were just what I was asking for .. and what you gave me. More data isn't

needed for "any thoughts".

I have tried this card in 2 different readers with the same result. What I am interested in at

present is being able to check whether I do in fact have all the images off this card or

whether there are some there that I did not see the first time around. I think the long term

futrue for this card is to make a claim on Sandisk under their 5 year warranty!

B&H is just a tad too far to go for a new card from Oxfordshire, England. Yes we too have

stores here that sell quality memory cards! :-)

"but no-one seemed to report..."

Sorry, I should have asked: "What the hell are you talking about?" Because there is no way to determine the context since you didn't post in the topic to which you refer nor did you provide a link! What I intended was to administer a verbal dope-slap -- I believe in their efficacy as a result of being the deserving recipient of quite a few myself :-)

"What I am interested in at present is being able to check whether I do in fact have all the images off this card or whether there are some there that I did not see the first time around."

Fair enough, but that's not in your initial post!

In any case, good luck!

Methinks youthinks a bit optimistically given the wry outlook of most of my British acquaintances, but at least you'll have home turf advantage.

The dope-slap, incidentally, is a an integral part of a Boston public radio show, "Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers", a pair of MIT ne'er-do-wells cum auto docs:-)

Mark, I'm also in UK (Brighton), with a 10D and a Sandisk Extreme III....you're getting me worried now :) I haven't had any problem yet, but I do download files after every shooting session and try to keep plenty of free space on the card. Out of interest, do you know how full your card was when the problem started?

Most likely card reader, I link the camera directly to the PC and down load all of the images this way, now I have the sandisk 16gb my acrd reader can read any of them, while the reader can read the 12gb sandisk I have and also the 8GB one with no problem, so for the 16GB I connect the camera via the USP.

I always down load the images from the card stright away to pc as soon I finish shooting and then copy all those files on dvd disk and store them in a sepcail cabinet and number them, or add titles on the disks and then add them to a pc fotware for quick refrence to search for the images I like to get to.

All of the best my friend

• 1 month later...