Accepting credit cards - which solution is best for a photography business?

robert_wilde

I have been flooded with mailers regarding accepting credit cards.

I also know of the virtual terminal by PayPal.

I have researched this issue for a while, but did not get enough information to make a decision.

I have two contradicting pieces of advice.

1. PayPal is great and easy.,

2. You should go with a bank, they are FDIC regulated, which gives you more rights in case a problem

comes up (charge-backs, etc).

One of the mailers I got was from a merchant services company called "LEADERS". They claim to do 80%

of all credit card transactions, and they also claim to be a bank, Wells Fargo, Walnut Creek, CA.

They also claim to have the best rates, "as low as 1.18%", a phrasing that always sounds like a lot of

hidden costs and hard to calculate real costs.

Web address: www.startaccepting.com

QUESTIONS

1. Has anybody of you experience with this company ("Leaders") ?

2. Can you recommend a good merchant service?

I really only need to accept credit card down payments over the phone. No special services needed, no

checks, anyway.

Thanks for your replies.

Paypal will take back the money from you if you do not follow their rules, which can be arbitrary and a nuisance. They are arrogant ------es. But they have paid all except one charge in the 4 years I have used them. Most merchant service companies are sneaky and can not be trusted. They slip in all kinds of hidden fees, and sometimes do not pay enough. I have, eventually, collected all of my charges from them. Charges are a nuisance. I offer a cash or bank cashier's check discount to discourage them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies.

I decided to go with PayPal, as I also noticed - Bruce mentioned it - that not only most, but

all merchant service hide fees. You can never be sure how much you are actually going to pay

for their services.

Another opportunity seems to be the business credit card I got an application for in the mail,

with a very low APR. But I'll take time to check this out, and will go with PayPal at first.