Birthday Party!

mike_foster5

I'm not sure how I took this assignment, but I'm shooting a Birthday Party early next year! I did shoot

wedding's when I first started over 25 years ago and then went into fashion/beauty. The party will be held

at a very fancy hotel in South Beach and the birthday girl... er, woman is going to be 70! So do I treat this

like a wedding without the groom (there is a husband) never did a party except for children. I guess

there'll be a few speeches and perhaps a toast.. I'm sure about the cake! How does one shoot these

events? Tables? Dancing? just walk around and take candid' shots? Equipment I guess is same for any

large party, double up on all the Nikon's, flashes, etc? Help!

Usually there is a short photo session before the invitation start time to photograph the birthday girl and various family members, even a group portrait. This is usually at the location of the party. I treat that part as a group/family photo session and usually bring at least one off camera light. Plus, shots of her alone. Otherwise, as you say--candids, tables, dancing, speeches, whatever happens. Plus the cake cutting and cake alone, especially the blowing out of the candles. You might follow the birthday person around to get casual shots of her with each grouping of friends, or it could be more formally staged as well. Besides the family groups, that is usually what is most appreciated by the birthday person. Equipment is the same as for wedding receptions.