Will someone please guide me...

sunnypix

in the right direction to find insurance for my equipment? I also was

wondering if any of you have liability insurance for ON SITE shooting. I shoot

on location, at people's homes and also weddings and events.

I have been doing it for just over a year, but recently bought some more

equipment and the thought entered my head.

Thanks-

Sunny

Hill and Usher is a good place to start.

Many in this business do not carry insurance which, IMO is a mistake (unless you own no assets that can be attached to an award if you are sued for any reason).

Of course, if you own no assets and have no credit etc., then you probably are not seriously in business either.....

In addition to insuring your equipment, you need to look at a commercial liability policy and, if available for photographers, an errors and omissions policy.

A major benefit of most insurance policies is, in addition to the loss coverage, the insurance company paying your legal fees in the event that someone sues you. Review your coverage to make sure that your policies include this feature.

Joel Berry, CPA - Sugar Land, Texas

Photo.Net has made arrangments for people to buy insurance for them and their equipment. Log into your workspace and one of the bullets at the top of the page should look similar to this:

Photographer's Insurance for up to 65% off typical rates. Click here for detailed information. Click here to sign up.

One thing to consider in your insurance requests, especially when not getting it thru a photo organization like ASMP, APA or PPA etc, is whether the coverage includes off premises insurance(it's called Marine insurance, I believe-don't let the name confuse you). So many commercial insurers think you, like the metal fabricator, keep your equipment on-site and never go on location. Be sure to specifically ask about this and whether it is replacement cost insurance or not!

As to getting insurance, the various photo organizations usually have specially negotiated rates that save you more than their membership fee if you have any significant amounts of equipment. I converted to an APA policy several years ago and later, went back to my old carrier to get a competitive quote. I found that the quote was over $1000 more for the equipment and 1/2 the liability coverage. Also, a few other coverages in the APA policy were omitted.

Just do some homework and also consider using your insured status as a marketing strategy. Since many shooters don't have liability insurance, raising it as a selling point for you brings it into the awareness of your potential clients, who will be left holding the bag(liability) if something happens on their job! I say this because even tho I work with very large clients and ad agencies, I am rarely asked if I have insurance nor is there a clause in the contract regarding having it. This leads me to believe that this is an issue that is outside of their awareness and bringing it to light could give you a competitive advantage.