F4s DOA from KEH?

bongeiste

I just got an F4s from KEH and it doesn't seem to work. I can't figure out right

now whether this is a result of the camera being a dud or me being a dud. I

loaded 6 fresh AA batteries into the two compartments. I pressed the battery

test button and both LEDs light up. I loaded film and it wound forward. I moved

the mode button from "L" to "S". I also switched the selector to "M" since I

have a manual focus lens mounted. When I press the shutter button, nothing

happens. I've tried both shutter buttons. Is there anything I'm missing?

The thought crossed my mind, but I felt kind of silly. As it turns out, after loading the film and closing the camera back, there's a switch/lever near the upper left hand side of the camera back that needs to be raised. In my own defense, I do have a PDF of a photocopied Nikon F4s manual (which I read before posting), but even that makes no mention of moving the switch/lever after loading the film. I'm sure many readers will think "Duh! How obvious was that?", but I'm a loyal user of the other camera brand's autofocus SLRs, so the manipulation required to operate a camera like the F4s is fairly new to me.

<i>... there's a switch/lever near the upper left hand side of the camera back that needs to be raised ... have a PDF of a photocopied Nikon F4s manual ... that makes no mention of moving the switch/lever after loading the film ... "Duh! How obvious was that?"</i><P>

Assuming you are talking about the R2 lever, not so obvious, since when it is working <b>properly</b> it is supposed to automatically return to the UP position when you pull up on the rewind crank to open the back.<P>

The rewind system is mechanically complex on the F4, with lots of pawls, cams and levers. I think this is a common (but not serious) fault on the F4. The R2 lever may be sticking from just lack of use, and if that's the case it should eventually reset automatically with continued usage. If it doesn't, that means that there is a small part broken in there, and you either live with it and reset it manually (no big deal), or get it fixed. I saw a web page several years ago that had photos of this fault and subsequent repair procedure - it's quite involved!<P>

There is a small blurb about the R2 lever on pages 26 and 27 of the manual.<P>

Enjoy your "new" F4. It is rather dated technology wise, but it's still an impressive picture taking machine.<div>00NF2e-39654284.jpg.961a6290d5ef345987e7657e7b4a74df.jpg</div>

@ Michael. Thanks for the information. Since my last post I've put a new roll of film in the camera and it seems to be working. I may have pushed the lever the wrong way when fiddling with the camera. The knobs and dials and buttons and levers make the camera more involved but also kind of fun (more tactile?). I got the camera mostly because I've always lusted after this camera though I knew the technology was dated. I also see it as a way to use some reputedly great optics without having to spend a ton of money I don't have on cameras that load film through their bottoms. Where did you get that picture of the manual? The copy I have looks somewhat different.<div>00NF3c-39655484.jpg.ebcea3970ad30f11f667697c17b86c8f.jpg</div>