Which filter? B+W or Heliopan

nilangsu mahanty

I want to buy a 77 mm circular polarizing filter for my Sigma 10-20/4-5.6

lens. Of these two filters, which one should I go for? Apart from getting what

is optically the best, I want the filter to last a very long time ($150 plus

is a lot of money for me), and I read in a review site

(www.photographyreview.com) that B+W ones aren't built that well. However, I

have seen members here at PN swear by B+W. :-)

Also, since I use the UWA lens at its widest focal length for 90% of my needs,

I will need a slim mount filter to avoid vignetting. How would I put a cap on

one? Is it correct that B+W CPLs come with a rubber cap of their own?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Nilangsu

I use the B+W slim filter as well and yes, the cap comes off eaily, but there is a solution. Just take some electrical tape and put 4 strips equal distance on the perimeter of the cap - now it holds on securely and you won't lose it. I do not have problems with my filters getting scratched from the cap - I think that's blown out of proportion.

<p><i>I do not have problems with my filters getting scratched from the cap - I think

that's blown out of proportion.</i></p>

<p>I agree. The rubber cap is more flexible than a plastic snap-in cap, but I store the

polarizer in its case when not it use. It is unlikely to get damaged there.</p>

<p>I like the construction quality of the filter more in the sense of it being

psychologically-reassuring rather than confidence-inspiring. What makes a difference for

me a little notch along where the front thread usually is. I'm not sure if this feature was

deliberate/coincidental, but that little notch indicates the orientation of the the polarizer

foil, with the 6/12 o'clock position giving maximum polarization. This is an added

convenience if you ever use a rangefinder camera. :)</p><div>00ND8Z-39584984.jpg.0f6ad15f6c97720769f9d1edbb1e90b3.jpg</div>

Assuming you use a APS-C format camera (including all Nikon DSLRs except the D3, most Canon DSLRs except for the 1D MArk 2 & 3 and the 1Ds cameras, and all ofthe 4/3rds format cameras ) with that lens and polarizer just be aware that you'll get an uneven polarization effect at any focal length setting less than 17mm. This has to do with the laws of physics.

Well, one can ruin all of one's Grand Canyon rim shots if taken with a superwide lens and the

polarizer on the front. Just a warning. I did it! Some of the sky will be dark (as intended) but

the other parts will be much lighter, giving all those shots a weird look.

Once you are at around 30mm - 35mm film focal length equivalent, this physical

phenomenon becomes unnoticable and pols are ok then. Of course if you want to cut

reflections in one part of the pic only and do not have blue sky in the frame, it will work, even

with a very wide lens.