New feedback and suggestion

bakarichavanu

Well, I've been developing my photography business for a little over a year now. I had a pretty good

wedding season this past summer which enable me to get a medium level of equipment and computer

equipment and software. While I think my photos are decent, I'm far where I want to be. I'm reading and

checking out as many different resources as I can get. I'm studying portrait and journalistic style photography. I'm trying to learn all I can about lighting and flash. I'm making a commitment to get out

and shoot more beyond weddings. And I'm developing my skills further in Photoshop, as well as

studying marketing techniques.

So while business is slow, I really could use critical feedback on what specific areas I need to improve,

especially in order to get more clients at slightly higher prices. The clients I shot for this year I think

hired me because of my low prices ($1500 average) and decent work. I've raised my prices some, but I

know I need to work work on my craft. I would eventually like to reach upscale clients, but I need to

improve my work before that happens.

I would appreciate on critical feedback on the photos on my Web site. What do I need to work on? What

workshops should I try attend? How could I improve my Web site? I plan to revise my prices and

packages in the next month, and I'm looking to start some sort of email campaign.

I would appreciate feedback and am also willing to provide feedback in return.

http://lifetimevp.com

Thanks.

I would not worry about the higher clientel. Keep doing what your doing and slowly raise rates over time. Your work is not quite there yet, you will need higher end venues and learn to pose brides elegantly. Some post production glow/blur you had done I didn't like, you have to use it carefully and keep eyes sharp. When the shots flew by they looked out of focus. Some black and white conversions need some work, camera handling watch your compositions a little. Some shots were a little cliche. Work on making the couples look more natural. Large brides don't show all that well I hear that in seminars all the time, most top pros only show the best looking couples, just like magazine ads, not being shallow that is just how it is.Honestly it sounds like you are realy trying hard and doing the right things, push your craft hard and keep at it, nothing happens overnight you will get there. Look at the best shooters out there find a couple shots you like and try to work them in at each wedding.

>>> I've been developing my photography business for a little over a year now. (. . . ) I would appreciate on critical feedback on the photos on my Web site. What do I need to work on? <<< (posted question)

` My rates are affordable, and you will find me to be professional, dependable, and devoted to producing a quality wedding video that will bring you a lifetime of memories. ` (quote from business web site)

Firstly decide what business you are in.

If it is two businesses you desire, then consider separating them.

If you separate them, ensure you can maintain the output of both.

WW

Steve, thanks for the feedback. At least it sounds like I'm going in the right direction. I

definitely want to get the more natural looking shots of couples, but just seems like the

weddings I've had so far have been pretty conventional. I don't really like the conventional

poses, but it seems that's what clients want. So I'm trying to study to do better at that, while at

the same time get those more natural looking shots.

On the glow/blur shots, I do try to focus on the eyes. I learned those techniques from Kelby's

books, but I'll definitely go back and look at them more closely.

What I think I need most is education--attending a good (but affordable) 3-5 day workshop

led by a good experienced photographer.

Jeffery, I'm hoping to pull together the money to go to WPPI this year. I think that would help a

lot. I'll be joining local photographer's association in January. They seem to be doing some

good work for each other.

Thanks guys, for the feedback.

William, why isn't it a good idea to have both photography and videography? I prefer the

former and that's what I'm working towards. But since I have the equipment and the

experience, I thought I'd continue to offer videography as part of my services. Why should

they be two separate businesses?

Thanks for the feedback.

Hello Bakari,

<br>

<br>

I think that you website looks great, but Williams suggestion is a good idea in that you should set up another site to deal only with your videography. You can link your two services by having a page on both sites called "Other Services" or whatever suits your taste. It looks more professional and gives the impression of a bigger company.

<br>

You should also take a look at the spelling of your copyright on some of the slideshow images, their is an (a) missing from photography.

<br>

<br>

Paula

Okay, I'll check that out. I never do the videography and photography at the same time. I

learned that lesson. I really want to be a good photographer--a really good one. So

eventually the plan is to not even post the videography services. I want to work on improving

the photography. I feel it's too conventional, though I'm proud of what I've accomplish in a

little over a year. I just want to do a lot, lot better.

>>>William, why isn't it a good idea to have both photography and videography? I prefer the former and that's what I'm working towards. But since I have the equipment and the experience, I thought I'd continue to offer videography as part of my services. Why should they be two separate businesses? <<< (BC)

Hi, Let me expand.

I chose my words very carefully. I did NOT say it was a bad idea to have both video and still; I wrote:

1. Firstly decide what business you are in: Is it video, still or both?

2. If it is two businesses you desire, then consider separating them.

That is to say have two websites that link to each other that way attracting those who only are looking for video and those only looking for still, or two sections under the same main page.

3. If you decide to have two businesses, ensure you can maintain the output of both.

This is most important. If indeed you have two businesses then be able to supply the goods. If you cannot (as from your response you cannot at this time) both businesses are vulnerable, which it seems is the case now.

This fact will probably limit the expansion of the still work at the least, if not lose customers at the worst.

WW

I place other photos on my website.

This is done because it speaks to my "style" of photography. So, in my case, it works to support and integrate with the wedding photography.

I get a lot of good comments from brides who specifically comment on the website so I stick with it even though I Know I have waaaay to many images on the site. Waaaay to many, oh well.