how do you know when your ready to start a photo biz?

I love photography. I have since I can't remember when. My husband and I own

a small architectural firm, but I am at the point in my life when I want to

follow my heart. How do you know when your ready to start charging for what

you do?

My style is photojournalistic and I'd primarily concentrate on children and

infant photography.

I've recently upgraded to a digital camera...I love to develop my own pics but

I don't think it's what clients are looking for nowadays.

My problem is I don't have a lot of formal education. I've taken a couple of

photography classes (I live 4 hours from a major city with any type of

secondary education). Is formal education a must to start out?

I'm educating myself when it comes to exposure and all the lingo with equipment

but it's slow but sure. It would be nice to be able to apprentice under

somebody but the closest professional photographer is 2 hours away. Am I crazy

to think that I'm ready to start a business? All I have to go on is people

have asked me to come photograph a wedding or their children based on photos

I've taken for my own use. I have NEVER charged for this...always saying that

I would do it free of charge if I could use the photos for my portfolio or

website.

Any information or direction would be appreciated.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

I will try to offer some advice. I have a photobiz, but I'm starting very slow. I will not do a wedding right now. I don't have the confidence yet. I have no formal education in photography. I would sugest reading every piece of photo educational mag or book you can get. Also look at lots of photos from other pros across the web. You will get ideas from that and expand and form your own style. I look at hundreds upon hundreds of photos everyday. I think that it has helped. I haven't seen your work but really as long as people are willing to pay you for your service, you have nothing to worry about. I had to pay a photographer to shoot my wedding last year. She is very popular in our town. I gave her $500 to come and spend 2 hours shooting, while I was to do all of the processing. Our pictures SUCK! $500 for flat lighting, distracting objects in the edges of the frame, bland colors, and more. She gave me 3 cds and 5 rolls of film to process. About 20% of the photos were usable. My point is, if she can run a successful business, anyone can. You can get in trouble fast though. I used to run a landscaping business. I started it when I was 20 years old and still in college. I didn't know much about running a business. I knew alot about landscaping, but that didn't save me. The business lasted over 4 years with very little profit and very little fun. I think you have to know some things about business to run one. I see in your opening paragraph that you DO know about business. I say go for it. There's alot to it, but like I said, if people are willing to pay you, you will find success. Good luck!

Jennifer, you probably know more than you think. And to hear you talk about it, I think

you're pretty much where I was a year and a half ago. Me, I took a series of classes at Rocky

Mountain School of Photography. That did two things for me. It filled in a few gaps of my

knowledge. But more importantly, it gave me the confidence that I DO know what I'm doing

with a camera in my hands. Since then I've been 100% invested in my new photography

business and I am SO glad I didn't wait any longer to do this!

Thanks so much to both of you for your responses. I think one thing scaring me to death is my lack of knowledge regarding camera equipment. I have been using my Rebel T2 slr for about 2 years now and am now upgrading for obvious reasons. As I begin looking at new lenses and such I am wondering...1st: what the heck are they talking about and 2nd: if I don't know this how could I possibly take a photo?

I have been looking at lots of websites. Some I think...wow I could do that...and other leave me in awe at their talent. I am hoping that I can combine my love of photography and slowly pick up the practical knowledge that comes with education and experience.

Peter...where is Rocky Mtn School of Photography? I am in NM right on the Colorado border. I'd love to check them out...maybe weekend classes.

Also would this be the place to pick people's brains on types of equipment they use...and what they recommend? I was afraid to post here thinking I would be mocked as a somebody with a crazy pipe dream with no business opening a photography business. I've had a few suggestions on equipment to start with.

Kelly, I completely agree with your take on weddings. The two I've done were not going to have photographers and when they asked and I offered for free...I don't think they were expecting much. Both were happy, but I look at the photos and think I was crazy!

Again thanks so much and I don't feel like a COMPLETE fool anymore....fool maybe but I haven't lost it totally!

Jennifer

Kelly,

One thing I looked at your photographs (I'm new here and just stumbled across that). The pics you take of people are they in a studio? If so what are the minimum things you have found you need. I have a good size room in back of my home that I my husband agreed to turn into a studio. It has beautiful old windows that I plan to put sheers on and even an old fireplace that would make a great backdrop.

I told him to paint the walls a white...does this seem right? I imagine it should definitely be a neutral color.

Should I invest in some sort of backdrops or lighting. I love pics that are taken with a black background. How do you get this? Is there a backdrop and something for the floor?

Again thanks, this forum has proved to have a wealth of information and peopl who are so helpful. I thought I would find a lot of "stuck up photographers" (sorry) who looked down on newbies with no formal education, but have found exactly the opposite! Jennifer

Jennifer,

If you have available room, that both of you agree to turn into studio, then you alredy cut off major part of your spendings on start up. You don't need to spend money on renting a studio, and if in the worst case scenario something goes wrong, you wouldn't be stuck with a lease (in starting a business always a good idea to think of the worst :)).

So you have a camera, you have a studio, I wouldn't paint it white, though. If you say you have a big window there, which means you got lots of light, you have a chance of overexposure. Although you'll need to get some background rolls, so I don't think that will be a problem. All you need is a good lighting system, which is a key to good pictures. And of course, the portfolio, especially the one specification that you aim to shoot. Say, if you want to specialize on the kids photography, you need shoot some first to be able to show people your work.

And final point to start your business faster is advertisement. That's where you'll need to spend. But I guess it's all worth it.

I wish you the best of all, good start and much of enthusiasm. :)

Jennifer-

I am much like you. I have experience, nothing more than a few classes in college as far as formal education. Most I have learned through playing, and doing favors for freinds. I am a graphic designer, and was an art major, so I know about about composition and art.

I, like you am uncertian when is the right time. I have decided after much prompting and many free shoots, like you, to bite the bullet and gove it a go...I have seen some people that tell me all about their photo business, and how much money they make, then I go look at their pictures, and they are BAD. If they can make money doing it, I know I have the abililty, equipment and eye to try my absolute best.

I agree with Kelly- I'm not ready for weddings. There are no 'redo's"

Good luck, and please any info you find out picking anyone's brain or finding a good resource, from, sites to books, please share. I am in the same boat as you. I am learning too, and welcome any tips!

Hi again, Believe it or not, every studio shot I have in my portfolio was taken in my bedroom. My real studio isn't quite done yet. My bedroom is painted blue with a natural wood ceiling. My backdrops are homemade for the most part. I love black backgrounds. For that I use a grey canvas cloth. They called it duck cloth or something. Grey is the best because you can make it any color you want with theway you light it. The problem that I run into with a small room is turning the cloth black. You have to have your subject far enough from the cloth and make sure little or no light hits it. The basic things you need are: decent camera, sharp lens, studio strobes (or other lights of your choice) background and ability to learn and accept failure. This isn't easy. I started with landscapes and thought I could walk right into portraits....NO. Also, if you want a white muslin background, you can buy one off of the internet for $100 or so or you can go to wal-mart and buy the same thing for $20. Get creative. That's the only thing that will spring your business past everyone else. ALWAYS focus on the eyes. I posted an example for someone else a while back, here: http://www.photo.net/photo/6488581 Go down to my comment and click on the link. I hope this helps you.

A couple of suggestions to add to many others: you might check out the Santa Fe Workshops, since you're perhaps close to them, and www.danheller.com re starting a photo business. Not to throw any cold water, but a lot of folks have decided that turning it into a business ruins a good hobby, as most of it is business and little is photography per se. Anyway, I suggest business education. Also, speak with working photographers and folks who own other types of service businesses. The SBA has help, if you can get to it -- SCORE classes are good business basics. Here's wishing you good luck and please let us know how it goes.

JW thanks for your response. I completely understand where you are coming from. My husband and I have owned a small architectural firm for the last ten years....small but successful especially since we live in a very small town.

I know how a passion or a hobby can sometimes be overshadowed by the business aspect. Quite frankly being that I have been in and own a service based biz I am not so worried about this aspect.

My big worry is formal training. I recently posted a pic for critique and am getting hammered. I had no doubt that my techincal experience and abilities are lacking, but because of my background and formal education in architecture I feel I have a pretty good grasp on composition and basic lighting. But apparently that doesn't seem to be the case, although of the three things I think lighting and (especially) composition tend to be more of a personal preference!

Bottom line is I have posted several pics on websites of my target audience and have gotten really good responses. I know I may not be formally educated and may not even know what I'm doing, but if your client is happy and feels you have captured the essence of her newborn...are you going wrong? Maybe you are.

Man, I really want to do this but am starting to think it's not in the cards.

Thanks for your time and responses all!

If you wait until you are "totally" ready in your own mind, you may never start your own business. As you already know from your architectural business, starting a business is a risk, but a risk worth taking. You can take classes and read everything you can get your hands on but there is abslutely nothing like experience. Start out slow, make sure you take care of all the government regulations necessary and go for it! Sounds like potential customers already like your work and you must be business savvy considering you're successful architectural venture. You may not know it, but you are ready now!

I feel the same way that you do except I have alot of training. Six years in fact. Some work I

see I feel that I can do and other work is just plain out of my league. I'm just starting my

business so this isnt coming out of experience but just how I think it works and I think that if

you have something that people like then put it out there and start learning. I'm sure that

with your architecture firm you've come a long way from where you started. You'll never learn

unless you do it.

i wouldn't worry about getting "hammered" on a critique, whether here or anywhere else. I've seen photographs by recognized masters get hammered when posted without the viewers realizing whose work they were seeing. if an ansel adams can get hammered for having poor tonal range... well, you get my drift.

bottom line: if people like your work and want to purchase it...forget the online critiques and sell some pictures! just continue to learn, which for me...means put aside a day or half a day minimum to shoot for your own personal pleasure. this will keep the artist in you searching, seeing, creating...and help avoid your becoming stagnant and satisfied just because you're bringing in the cash.

this is going to sound arrogant no matter how i state it... but, the general public knows very little about photography, period. even so, the average person can recognize a really BAD photograph or a really GOOD photograph. so, if your work fits into one of these categories you're either sunk before you get started or you might just become an instant success. most people getting started in a photog business are somewhere in between. not that you should ever be satisfied with mediocrity ... but mediocre photography is very sellable to Joe and Jane Public. we'd all like to be "masters", but while we're on the journey to that destination we don't have to feel guilty about selling work that hasn't yet reached that skill level. bottom line...you can have a profitable business from the onset. i won't try to write another book on the subject, but a couple of things i'd keep in mind. make your work affordable, but don't sell it so cheap that you get locked into a reputation of being "that photographer that practically gives her work away". it's hard to change that type of image...especially in a small town. let your customer service be impeccable. that doesn't take business experience or education. do what you say you will do, when you said you would do it. don't be even ONE MINUTE late for appointments. what you may not know about setting up the business...find smart, experienced people who do. of course that probably doesn't need saying since you and your husband are in business. anyway...nuff said. i wish you all the luck in the world and would love to know how it goes for you! one last thing...i understand the fear and lack of confidence. it's normal and it's healthy. it will keep you on your toes. just don't let it rob you of your dreams.

When you can do pretty well anything to "acceptable commercial standard" within the area / type within you wish to work. Formal Education in not important, but knowing your stuff is very important.

Confidence.

Business Acumen / street smarts.

Sales Skills.