Website hits from search engines

stephen dohring

Referalls and magazine advertising aside I would guess venues are a big referal

source and I was also wondering if people are getting inquiries from web

searches EX: [Your town] wedding photographer. Would love to know if people

are getting bookings or serious inquiries from general web searches making it

woth pay per click or SEO purchases...thanks.

I do get a lot of inquires through general searches some pan out some do not much like any way that people find our site.

The problem with payper click is you have no control over who you are paying for. Adds up quickly and much will be random not real business potential.

Brooke

Only you can determine whether or not PPC is worth it. We've set up a number of PPC campaigns for our clients (not photographers) as well as ourselves. Our experience has been that by the time you fund it with enough money to drive sufficient traffic, the PPC costs eat up your profits. Having said that, it might be worthwhile to try it, but make sure you set a daily budget that you can afford. And don't go after every keyword in the world. Research two or three strong keywords and go with those. Let it run for a week and see which keywords are working, and eliminate the others.

Finally, I've read recently that click fraud amounts to 15% to 25% of clicks. Google, however, disputes those numbers.

PPC wasn't worth it to me. I got a bunch of hits, a few inquiries and no bookings. Only did it for a couple of months though.

Optimizing my website for the search engines was totally worth it. Last month I had 120 visitors coming in from google search results and 25 from Yahoo. Booked four portrait sessions and 2 weddings from these folks. I guess it's not a very good ratio but it didn't cost me a dime so I think that made optimizing my site worth it. I did the SEOing myself. I don't trust SEO people, most of them seem really shady to me. I would suggest doing the same. It's not that hard but it does take a while to build up enough quality links to show up in a decent spot in the search results.

I use wedj and have a lot of hits. I have just used them for 1 month. I am really new to this and dont know anything about PPC at all. I think I need to raise my prices though, because although I get hits, I dont think people are taking a 500.00 photographer seriously : )

• 2 weeks later...
Amy, what is wedj? I'm not familiar with that. Also, can somebody tell me how you get your sponsored links at the TOP of the google search page. I see the regular adwords links down the right side, but there are also links at the top. Are the top ones adwords? Or is there some other premium service that google offers?