best NiMH batteries for speedlights

I'm about to invest in a larger scale battery charger (bigger than the 4

slotters I use now) and I'm also considering investing in some newer AA NiMH

batteries. For those of you not carrying quantum battery packs - what are

people using for their batteries.

I'm using SB800 flashes with SD-8A external battery packs.

I use a pair of Maha C800-S chargers. This is similar to the C801-D but with lower charging rates.

I haven't used the newer 'low discarge' NiMH batteries yet, but I have some eneloops on order.

I'm not brand specific for batteries, as I've had reasonable luck with everything I've tried so far. My oldest cells are 1850mAh and the newest are 2700mAh.

Best prices I've seen so far have been from http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

I have two sets (four AA and four AAA) of the Eneloops (2000mAh) which I'm very happy with as I no longer have to worry about them discharging on me when I need them. I also have some 2900mAh that I use for my flash, I just make sure that I've recharged them the day before I have to use them.

Powerex by far. I have used most types and they outlast all others on a consistant basis for me. type powerex into amazon. You will see the powerex chargers are the same with different brand names. The lacross bc-900 is a fine charger but can only do 2 at a time at high capacity so it is a waste of time, go for the powerex 8 unit charger.

Having tried quite a few different brands over the years, I've found the best! Ansmann 2600

mah does the job, I still use 2500's. Seems that everything they make is of high

(professional) quality. Even the soft plastic storage boxes are neat, I get all this at Adorama

in Manhattan. Oh, I've been through hundreds of recharge cycles in the past few years and I

own 32 AA's..

I use Delkin, and my fiancee uses Impact. We also purchased the Impact chargers that charge each battery separately and has a 12-hour refresh option. Both of us have the Canon equivalent battery packs on 580 EX flashes.

I've been using the Delkins since the beginning of summer without issue. The Impacts are newer (Mid-October) and also have been working well. Some brand talk and experiences were discussed in the thread I posted in October there are other threads as well: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MtwN

Hope this helps.

The charger is probably the most important part of the system. I have used several over the years and settled on the 8-cell Maha MH-C800S because it is "intelligent", has a slow charge cycle as an option to preserve battery life, and can also do AAA batteries. With this charger there is no worry about leaving it on all day when you are out shooting., and then charge a new set all night long. For travel, I want to use the same make and size battery for everything (in a given size) including my flashlights and audio equipment so there is no worry about mixing types. Currently I am using Energizer 2500 mAh.

See http://www.thomasdistributing.com/maha-mh-c800s-battery-charger.htm

With the SD8A it makes little difference what kind you get and use. I run with the 10 batteries in the flash and battery pack and change them out after the ceremony and use a second set for the reception. I could use 1500mAh or 2700mAh and there would be no difference in performance.

When I am using flash it is for fill and I tend to use large apertures and high ISO's which means very little light is needed from the flash. If I shoot at ISO 1600 at f4 during the reception I need very little light from the flash. And of course if I shot at f5.6 the output of the flash would have to double and the batteries would last half as long.

The best source for batteries, chargers, battery cases, and battery testers that I have found is www.thomasdistributing.com

Another common source for Ni-Mh batteries & chargers is

your local Radio Shack. I just bought a new 4-slot "AA"

Ni-Mh Charger Kit, including 2 pairs of AA Ni-Mh 2000mAH

batteries for about $20 (Radio Shack product #23-1302).

I plan to use this to keep my digital camera batteries

charged. This unit has a 2-hour charge cycle, and will

charge only the Ni-Mh type,in AA or AAA sizes. But they

also have other Ni-Mh charges that will charge as fast

as 30 minutes, or as long as 6-8 hours. They also have

a 30 day Return Policy in case you want to return it.

They may have an 8-Battery unit suitable for your needs.

You would just need to call them,and enquire, or

perhaps they have a website that lists all the products.

• 1 year later...

<p>About to purchase the 8 cell Maha either 800, 801, or 808. Does anyone have a link that compares the features of these units side by side? If not, what are the key differences between them.<br>

Also, I may get two chargers, and about 40 AA's to fun two SB-800's at 10 aa's per unit/setup. I intend to use at least 2 SB's for each session, and will need the 20 other aa's as backups, and to use during recharging the 1st sets.<br>

I'm using the SD-8a chargers, I also have the Quantum 2x2's but they both failed, one melted down and the other lost all charge, and doesn't hold had since Sept 2006. Sent in for repair, possibly 100-125 each -<br>

MikesMultiMedia.com</p>