Update on Playcomet image theft situation...

joshroot

Update on pic.playcomet.net. As of today, I see a new ad on each page but only one. It is for another Chinese site possibly owned by the same person but i wasn't able to determine that. That MPCSTAR.com site has Google ads but I doubt those can be targeted at this point. This is probably the end of the line for the moment.

In summary, pic.playcomet.com has been pushed to host within China and no longer has google ads (which are context dependent and profitable). They are running a single ad for a Chinese site. At this point they are driven within their borders with a less profitable setup.

As China modernizes, their copyright laws will have to follow and then sites like this will have to find somewhere else to hide.

Thanks to everyone for their time and effort.

Mine do not display either, just a red X in place of the image.

I noticed this too, didn't see it earlier:

"All the pictures on this site are collected from other sites.If there is any involved in copyright infringement, please feel free to contact us. Email: bttasp@163.com"

Seems most if not all photo.net member images have been removed.

Thank-you to everyone for your time and effort on this matter. I've been reading and

watching the developments, but was a little late in arriving. I just discovered all this late

yesterday, and wasn't sure what to do. It was reassuring to read everyone's posts. Thanks

again.

I recently did two things and I don't know which made a difference if any. First I wrote emails to the playcomet.com site administrators as well as I wrote to commerce division of the Chinese Embassy. I received an email today from the adminsistrators. She wanted to verify the link to my photos. It seems my photos are no longer being shown at least at this moment. All I did was point out the photos were copyrighted and I felt they were stolen. I made no threats. Just asked nicely to have them removed.

Some may not mind that they took the photos, but I do. It was done without my permission. I can't condone that. Equally as important. If you allow photos to be taken that you have said were copyrighted, the future could be bleak if you have to fight an infringment lawsuit. You allowed it once, the court may limit or dismiss your protection.

I hadn't followed up on this for a while, but notice that there's no longer any trace of my name or images lingering on their site. As mentinoed above though, they've altered the text on the footer of their pages, with (I expect) unintentional hilarity:

<br><br>

<i>All the pictures on this site are collected from other sites.If there is any involved in copyright infringement, please feel free to contact us. Email: bttasp@163.com ... Copyright ? 2003-2007 PlayComet. All rights reserved</i>

<br><br>

I mean, you can't make that stuff up.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm the troublemaker who found this site:-). I have a couple of sites related to my photography and advertising work, so I googled my name to see where they came up. While I was at it, I looked through the first couple pages of entries and found a link to this site. I'm sure there are many more like this that haven't been discovered. It's just a function of showing one's work on the web.

• 1 month later...
Josh thanks for your efforts in this area. As one who has had a few of images 'stolen', I have no intention of removing my images since I have benefited recently from a commercial opportunity due to exposure here. I do put a watermark imprint on the images that is barely visible on the net and hopefully that will discourage use of the image.