Which set? M4+old50/2 VS BessaR2A+new 50/2

jinbo_zhu

Hi guys,

I have budget around 1000 Euro, below are 2 choices I have here BKK.

1)M4(700Euro) + 1st version LEICA 50/F2 (300 Euro);

2)New Bessa R2A (450Euro) + 1987 LEICA 50/F2 (550Euro).

Problem for this M4 is tooo many scrach;

That R2A has AE, E-shuter,built-in meter. But not machnical body.

So which one you recommend? what's the reason?

Thank you very much!!!

You are comparing apples to the proverbial oranges, with the bodies. An M4 will likely need a CLA if it hasn't had one in the last 10 years or so. This will add around $300-500 USd, to the price. Bessa's are fine cameras but their build quality isn't even close to the M4's. However that doesn't mean to discourage you from buying one. I own an R2 Bessa, and I love it. I also own an M4, but I use the two cameras for very different uses. The Bessa with it's accurate metering sees mostly slide films. The Leica sees mostly B&W negative films, as it was made for in my opinion.

The older Summicrons tend to disappoint some people. They produce a distinctly vintage sort of look to their color images. And are quite charming for many subjects. The newer lens will be much sharper and have more snap or contrast to it's images. It will also reproduce colors more accurately.

I would buy the M4. Is this a camera you can examine before you commit to buying it? Can you shoot a roll of film through it? Just stand there and shoot. Does everything work? Any light leaks? Focusing accurate? One roll of tri x should tell you. Develop the negtives and see how they look.

Scratches on the camera don't mean squat unless they're in the viewfinder.

If the camera seems to be working, buy it. Try to get a guarantee.

M4 is the best non metered rangefinder you can get, in my opinion. Then buy a CV 50/1.5 lens.

Best of Luck,

Michael

Neither. Much as I love my Leicas, I'd not recommend ANY rangefinder camera for general use. If you're absolutely insistant on shooting film, then an SLR of recent vintage would be a better choice.<P>Except for the very latest ASPH Leica lenses, high quality Japanese glass can be just as good as older Leica designs. (My best, sharpest 50mm lens is a SMCP f:1.4 Pentax-M, and my second best is a current generation Leica Summicron.)

Problem for this M4 is tooo many scrach; That R2A has AE, E-shuter,built-in meter. But not machnical body.

So which one you recommend? what's the reason?

I scratch my arse often, but it still works. The M4 is built like a tank, the R2A is built like a toy....

Put one in your right hand, one in your left....engage brain.