Help! I am getting ugly banding

I am getting banding (look above the tree for worst) Why? This is an old photo

I took with a nikon D50, but I did shoot in RAW so I can't imagine the photo

could turn out this bad. Also, I use this process on other photos and I never

get this banding. But every time I try to process this image it turns out like

this. Should I just junk it or can anyone help me fix it?<div>00NEsU-39649184.thumb.jpg.b5398e8e5aba456aaa736109f5743388.jpg</div>

I don't see any banding ... what I can see (above the tree) is posterisation ... this usually happens, when severe changes (levels and curves) are applied on sections of an image that already contain few different tones and if these changes are applied in 8-bit mode. So, agreed with Mark, describe the process ... and eventually show the image (or the relevant part of the image before and after processing steps).

Ok first I am having an issue with this ugly purple outline on my image. I only shot with this camera for a short time and I am not having this problem with my 5D. i don't know, but I think it was something to do with the D50 I was using? Correct if I am wrong.

Example:

And as for the banding (posterization):

The origional photo has a completely overexposed WHITE sky, so it was darkened with a soft black brush at opacity 30, and some burning later on. After I did this, I then made the selective color layer and messed with the tones. This is when I see the posterization happen.

The purple 'outline' (fringe) you mention appears to be Chromatic Aberration - it's a function of the lens, usually. If you shoot in RAW, Adobe ACR has CA correction capabilities.

I don't see any banding, but I do see posterization as other posters have mentioned, and that's an artifact of your process. To reduce posterization, you'll need to adjust your effect - or smooth it out directly with a blur tool. If you created a gradient in 8bit mode, and then applied your effect to it - this would cause that. Try working in 16bit mode, or reducing the amount/intensity of effect applied. (Or, even, the nature of the effect - I usually get a lot of this with too much contrast induced from a levels adjustment layer - avoid compressing the regions of colors that exist in the "blend zone" - focus on the the brightest and darkest regions.)

!c