indoor shots w/out flash

brent_atkinson

Depends what lens you have my friend. Is it just the stock lens? Or do you have one of those crazy fish-eye lens that realtors use to make a tiny apartment look like a Beverly Hills mansion?

I would use my 17-55mm f2.8 lens, stick it on a tripod - use the AV setting to select f4 or 5 ish, and change your ISO depending on light.

Then again I take people photos so what would I know?!....

adding lights pointing at the ceiling to brighten the rooms will help

after all the folks are trying to sell the house and make as much money as possible.

it is the direct opposite situation from a gloomyb old church and a crusty clergyman.

watch out for kids racing around and knocking over your lights.

you should have at least a 28mm wa lens.

When I shoot interiors more flash is better. Sometimes 6 units, so perhaps rethink how you wish to bring out the dark areas and rent some extra lights.

Your way can be done by many exposures and a tripod. Your first exposure shoot the brightest area. Without moving the pod expose shoot for the dakest area. Then in photoshop merge both images into 1. It takes time but it surely works well.

Some interiors, especially in expensive homes, have lighting that the realtor might want showcased in the picture. For example, spotlights, lamplight, or under cabinet lighting in a kitchen. This sort of lighting creates a distinct and unique atmosphere in a room that the realtor might want conveyed in the photograph.

I agree with what Adam said. Flash can kill that mood, unless you are very expirenced , have a lot of lights, and know how to use them. The hardest part about interior shots is the difference between the daylight coming in the windows and actual room lighting. Digital cameras can't handle that contrast range. The layering technique will be your only recourse. Or you could shoot at just the right time of day where the window light is balanced with the interior light, but I doubt that would ever happen. Realtors have crazy schedules and you most likely would not be able to pick what time you could shoot.

Mood in a home lighting is a big deal (normally) to the realtor's/builder's I have worked for. Shooting at dusk will help (non intrusive outdoor light, think reflections) and using PS to blend the exposures will also give you some flexibilty. Tricks to make the most of your position and elevation are much needed for residential interiors.

Flash is great if you want to create your own flavors, but mostly this is used for more commercial apps and less so for residential in my experience.

My bet is that your realtor is not wanting photos that have one flash that leave the interior light waaaaaay out of balance because the photos were taken by an amatuer.

Take him/her some shots of well balanced interior shots that are not only well lighted but they are creatively lighted.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot interiors three times a week in NYC to pay the rent while my personal business builds. One thing is, the images a broker use are usually very small. So we send a lot of web ready 72 dpi 400 pixel. My company provides 2 SB's and a tripod. The trick is to expose for the windows then fill in with SB's. I shoot one straight up and the other pointing at the room, but there are other techniques. Use the shutter speed to open up the natural light. Always shoot RAW. When you don't have a window, check for variable light switches to lessen the contrast and have the ability lower your shutter speed. Balance blowing out the lights with filling in the shadows.

With Nikon, if you can get a peak around 160-180 on the histogram, D-lighting will pull the shadows out very well. This is not a professional level Architectural technique "architectural digest" but I shoot 3-4 apt a day and broker are happy with the results.