Corrupt Files

jim_forrest

Hi Guys,

I always format cards prior to shooting. Recently I shot a job and when I tried

to download pics via my reader discovered several to be corrupt with a message

saying "Files may be corrupt". Whilst shooting I was reviewing images on the LCD

and all seemed fine. I tried different cards and still got the same result. I

noticed that the battery indicated about one third power changed the battery for

new and problem seems to be rectified. Can a partially exhausted battery be the

cause?

Just need peace of mind!

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Turning off the camera or replacing a full CF card too quickly - while files are still being written - seems to be the most common reason for corrupted files. Been there, done that!

Also, you say you format, but do you format in-camera or in your computer? I always format in the camera, even though I might erase the card in-computer.

Switching cards between cameras might cause problems.

Dirty contacts on the CF card or in the slot in the camera might also cause problems.

The power gauge on most cameras aren't all that accurate. When I see 1/3 full on my 30Ds, I change the battery as soon as possible. But, I can't say I've ever seen a corrupted file except for "user error" turning the camera off or ejecting the CF card too quickly.

Since you were viewing the images on the LCD, I'm guessing they had already been completely written to the card. In that case, it should be safe to turn the camera off or eject the CF card.

It's also possible the CF card itself is getting old, but sounds like you have managed to make the problem occur with two different cards.

You might try one of the image recovery softwares. I think both Sandisk and Lexar have them available. I've used Lexar's "Image Rescue" with some success.

I'm not sure if the small, button battery in the camera could have any effect. But, it's not monitored by the battery "gauge". Those little batteries usually last around 5 years, but it may need replacement, or even just wiping off the contact surfaces with isopropyl alcohol to be sure they are clean and the camera is getting power for memory functions.

Jim

<P>

Allan has summarised it well, I'll add that I had a 20D with what I believe was a intermittently failing defective door switch circuit, as this is the only explaination I can come up with (though canon couldn't find anything wrong). You could go for ages and not loose an image, then suddenly you'll loose 3 in a row, or have the RAW dashed 1/2 way through and the JPG fine, or the otherway round (I started using JPG + RAW to even out my chances of getting a result ;-)

<P>

what is the camera?