Err 99 - EF50mm 1.4 on 30D

pete_c1

Just got a brand new 50mm 1.4 some 4 days ago and have been enjoying it since on my 30D. Its just that

this morning, I got the dreaded Err99 message.

I've been shooting, on average, around 80 shots per day with this lens. Stopped down to no more than

F4.0 but most of time wide open at 1.4. This is my first lens wider than 2.8 after all.

This morning, I fired 3 shots in succession, at 1/50 F1.4 Aperture Priority, then paused for around 2

seconds to stop down to F1.8 and then fired 3 shots again shooting the same subject. I was surprised to

find the Err99 message on the LCD display. I then turned the camera off, removed and reinserted the

battery, removed the lens to clean the contact points on the cam and lens with a blower, remounted the

lens and powered up again. The last 3 shots were lost.

Immediately started continuous shooting, 4 to 5 in succession, at different F stops - 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.8 and

4.0. No Err99. Used the lens the whole day and shot maybe 300 frames, some single and a lot

continuous, at F1.4 to F4.0, with no problem. Again, no more Err99.

What happened? I've read a number of threads on recurring Err99 problems but none that occured just

once. Has anyone experienced this before? Should I expect this problem to increase in frequency?

Thanks.

www.digitaljournalist.com has a monthly column by Canon's Chuck Westfall. In one of the last issues error 99 was explained, it can have several causes. I agree with the above posters about cleaning the contacts with something more robust than a blower like a pencil eraser, household towels, toilet paper or something similar. I had error 99 a few times with an EOS5/28-125IS combo, after cleaning the contacts it disappeared and did not come back.

So, you're saying that you have had one "error 99" and you can't duplicate it. Is that it? If so, you don't have a problem. You have a normal, healthy, functioning computer with an optical sensor attached to it. This is not an issue unless you can duplicate it, or it happens at random intervals. Computers crash. It's the nature of the beast.