Print layout on roll paper.

Ok, i have an epson 9600 printer (ultrachrome) and i am printing from a mac. So what i want to do is to

load a roll of 44" paper into the printer and be able to lay out my photos across the entire width of the roll

so that i can print entire orders at one time and use the least amount of paper possible. So any software

suggestions or photoshop tips would be helpful. if i can avoid it i would prefer not to purchase a $1500

rip....but that may be my only option!

any input would be appreciated

Josh

While not free, Adobe Lightroom's print module makes it pretty easy to do this for a lot less

than a RIP. You simply set up you page size in the page setup dialog, select the photos you

want to print and configure a layout. I've used it for exactly what you are describing on a

9800 with 44" roll paper. It's much more convenient than setting up 44" photoshop

documents because once you've set everything up once, you can just select a different set of

photos and print again.

With our old 1994 rip on our poster printer one just drags the ripped images to a temporary work area and presses an auto button and the automatically rotate and slide together to make the minimum loss of paper. One has a buffer white area defined a the edges of the paper; and variable for between each print. One can then accept the layout; or drag them around to another type puzzle. One may want all of customer A's prints to be together at one end of the puzzle; and C's in the middle; and B's at the end where two of each of B's are printed at once. This rip uses NT3.51 its so old. <BR><BR>In commerical work time matters; and rip's time saving and jog logging is an easy return on investment; sort of like worrying about whether one's alarm clock is wasting too much power.<BR><BR>With one of my 11x17 rips that has a poor nesting feature I just often copy and paste images to one sheet using photoshop; then print this new combo sheet. Its also done at times on the larger 36, 44 and 54 inch machines where we add a custom CMYK and greyscale bars; and our own head alignment ticks.; or custom trim marks for further finishing; of a customers HOUSE colors at the start of the print. Thus is Acme's royal blue appears wrong at the start due to a weird failure; the giant print can be scrubbed; then the printer debugged.