Command Event Critique Request

michaelbonner

Hey, everyone

<p>

I've been shooting for about three months now, after the purchase of my Canon EOS 350D (Rebel XT).

While most of my photos are for personal/artistic ends, I've managed to become the official

photographer for my command (I'm currently on active duty in the US Navy). As such, I've had the

opportunity to photograph several events, from awards ceremonies, to retirements, to action on the

flight deck on an aircraft carrier. I've posted photographs from my latest event, a command picnic that

ended up in a bowling alley here: <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=777538"

>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=777538</a>. What I'm looking for is an honest

assessment of what I'm doing well, and especially where I need to improve, and whether or not I should

consider looking for work in this field. (Note: I know there are some issues with these photos in terms

of non-uniform color-casts and slight subject underexposures, but those are easily correctable, so I'm

looking for more detailed critiques)

<p>

I'd consider myself an advanced amateur- I've got a pretty good grasp of leveraging manual modes to

make the best of available light, can probably hold my own in a technical discussion, and am fairly

confident using Photoshop to improve my images (Curves, Levels, layer masks, and so forth). My

biggest technical gap would be my inexperience with flash (I've had a 430EX for a few days now) My

current equipment set-up is:

<p>

Canon EOS 350D<p>

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8<p>

Canon 70-200mm f2.8<p>

Canon 430EX Speedlight<p>

Velbon tripod w/ball & socket (though I mostly shoot handheld)<p>

RC-1 Remote Trigger<p>

Silver/White reflector<p>

<p> <p>

Thank you so much for your time, and for putting up with this long-winded post.

<p>

Sincerely,

<p>

Michael Bonner

Michael, I mostly wanted to pop in to say, thank you for your service.

I don't feel quite qualified for critiquing but I think your work looks very good though its difficult to judge from just one event. By "work in this field" do you mean photography in general or weddings? It seems like you have learned quite a bit in 3 months - congrats!

Thanks a lot, Lauren- support is always very nice to hear.

Also, I think you're quite well qualified- I took a stroll through your portofolio and loved it,

especially your first engagement shoot. Having taken the subway every day for 4 years, it

holds a sort of nostalgia for me.

When I say "work in this field," I mean event photography, to include weddings, et cetera.

I've been asked to photograph two weddings for two fellow servicemembers so far, and I'm

currently thinking about putting myself out there as a general event photographer, so any

advice or critiques would be greatly appreciated. I'll also have to find more events I've

photographed to post.

Thanks again,

Michael Bonner

Hi Michael,

It would be good to see more of your work, most of the shots were indoors and made good use of composition and angles. You obviously have an eye for it and know what you are doing. It would be great if you could show some more work with natural/available light and see how you make the most of those f2.8 lenses.

Great work and keep it up!

j

Justin- Thanks a lot for your comments. Concerning available/natural light, I would

consider my photo.net porfolio to be a kind of study in available light- my abhorrence of

flash is one of the things that led me to a DSLR and I've yet to post a photo on here for

which I used a flash. The indoor shots were accomplished with the lighting that was (or

wasn't, unfortunately) in the bowling alley.

Lauren- I hear you in terms of photographic restrictions. I think officials need to look more

closely at what they're hindering versus what they intend to be preventing. I believe NYC

(where many of my subway memories occured) had legislation similar to that which you

describe, but it was either repealed soon after it was established or never established at

all. In any case, the MBTA can KMA if it comes down to it.

Also, what are your opinions on whether or not I should consider professional work, either

as an assistant, or on my own, and are there any deficiencies I should work to correct

before doing so? (so far, I can think of learning how to shoot and process in RAW,

mastering the use of my flash, getting a second body, and getting a fast prime, but I'm not

sure whether any of those are serious enough to hinder me while I'm just starting out)

Thanks a lot,

Michael Bonner

Michael:

First off from one vet to another - THANK YOU!

Next - Define "MBTA" and "KMA" I know the military has a ton of acronyms but I have no idea what you and lauren are talking about.

Finally the critique - Very good stuff. The crowd looks like they are having fun and not give that "Oh God not another stupid photo" look so that's very good. Personally I'm not crazy about tilted shots and there seems to be a few in there. Otherwise, go for it man. Shoot the weddings and get your name out there and take advantage while you have the opportunity.

Zack,

Thank you as well- it's great to see fellow photographers who are also fellow servicemen

MTBA stands for Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, and KMA would be the

initials to my explanation of what they could do if they didn't like me taking photos.

As for the tilted shots, they made up a far smaller percentage of my event 'keepers,' but

when I was skimming the top to post on photo.net, I found I liked them a lot because of

the way the lines of the lanes converged towards the corners. I agree about tilting,

though- it can definitely be (and often is) overdone.

Thanks for the encouragement. I actually just got back from shooting a retirement that

took place in a painfully dim chapel (the same one that the first wedding will be in). On top

of the already poor lighting, I was shooting my brand new flash without a diffuser (express

shipping my foot). I will have to edit and then post those shots for further feedback.

Thanks,

Michael Boner

Hey Zack, thanks to you also for your service. Ha ha! To think I knew some military acronyms!

Michael, I would say (but would also say, again, who am I to say) to go ahead and shoot whatever comes up provided they have seen many samples that honestly represent your work and that they know your level of experience. I was lucky to get a job as second shooter and what have learned has been invaluable - though I still have to push myself to keep studying and learning on my own. I think shooting any events with people is good practice for the photography side and then attending and assisting in real weddings definitely prepares you for the rush of the day.

Thanks for your service! I have a high regard for people willing to serve in the military.

As for the photos, I think you are off to a good start and you have a great opportunity to practice in different lighting situations with little or no stress (just don't make the ranking officers look bad). Use the events you are asked to shoot as learning experiences. I'm sure the Navy has "official" photographers, maybe you could work with them.

I like the angles and DOF you have in the shots you posted. Keep it up and have fun.

Sam

Thanks for the suggestions and advice- the Navy definitely provides ample opportunities for

experience- I find myself regularly photographing two or three events a week, with a couple

larger events such as this one once or twice a month. I have also been keeping an eye out for

local photographers needing assistance. Being fairly inexperienced, I would love to be able to

work with a professional and learn on-the-job.

Best wishes and thanks for the help,

Michael Bonner