Locations for Painted Buntings

david_fletcher6

During trips to Cumberland Island I saw them frequently. I was not looking for them specifically, and don't know their habits but ran across them anyway. They are common to the whole area, including Jekyll Island, St. Simons and other coastal areas. If you know more about them (food sources, types of trees/plants they like..) I'm sure you can narrow your search and be more likely to locate the buntings. If you're not familiar with Cumberland Island, you have to purchase tickets and take a boat out of St. Mary's Georgia. There is information on line about departure times, etc. I'm not aware of any workshops in the area, however, there are bird watching groups that may be of assistance.

Not the SE but on Matagorda Island (TX) there is a wildlife refuge or state park (not sure which) that there were several birds when I was there in June. The rangers there were really great and with some advanced notice I suspect they would be receptive to setting up a blind. The park is a little tough to get to but once there you would have all the privacy you could EVER want.

Years ago I used to go to a county park in So. Florida named Castello Hammock Park, which I found was the best place ever for close ups of both painted and indigo buntings. The park had a nature center with feeders on the edge of the Hammock out back, and the buntings loved it. Also, they were quite habituated to watchers and photographers. Hurricane Andrew blew the park apart, and it was closed for a good many years. Based upon your inquiry, I decided to do a search, and came up with http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.asp?trailid=HGD167-026. Happily, the park has been rebuilt, reopened and re-feedered, and apparently the buntings are back.

Thanks to all for passing on this data.

Due to closer proximity for me, I will begin with the Harris Neck / Jekyll Island / Cumberland Island areas. So Fl and Tx I will certainly keep on my list.

Hopefully I will be able to make an "exploratory" visit to these areas in Ga before Spring.