Lens opinions

andrew_ng7

"The the 16-50 2.8 is a 24-75mm 2.8 which is a standard professional zoom. It's payed the bills of many a photojournalist around the world for a long time. 2.8 isn't mind boggling fast, but it's the standard "fast" for a zoom."

I don't refer to the 16-50 F2.8 at all in my post - I do refer to the 16mm F2.8 prime and, while I'd like one, it's too expensive.

"Also, the build of the Limiteds is such that these lenses will last a long time. The FAs will last a long time if you treat them well, the DA and FA* and limiteds will last a long time with less then perfect use."

I'm not particular kind to my lenses and I've seen no sign that my FA lenses have suffered any more than my FA* lenses over the last decade or so. If anything the best built lenses I have are the Tokina ATX-Pro ones and they were always a lot cheaper than the equivalent Pentax lenses. While I'd be willing to pay something extra for supreme built quality I still thing that, in the UK at least, a lens like the 31mm F1.8 Ltd is far, far too expensive (800 pounds is more that 3 times the price of the Sigma 30mm F1.4).

Well, although expensive, I can't agree that the Limiteds are not worth their price. For one thing they are unique. Carrying them is like carrying nothing else.

The idea behind the Limiteds is to offer Zeiss or Leica-like precision quality at a fraction of Zeiss or Leica-price. And that has been handsomely achieved. Fine precision craftsmanship, quality control and innovative design come at a price. To give one example, the Zeiss Planar ZF 50mm f/1.4 is widely regarded as one of the sharpest and finest precision-built primes. The Pentax 43mm Limited, tested by the same lab that tested the Zeiss, actually topped it at peak apertures by a significant margin, at infinity focus. In POP's lab test, the 43 Limited amazed the technician with its close-focus performance. The build quality of the 43 Limited, and its exclusive convenient design, goes without saying, yet its price is far lower than the Zeiss lens, which is manual-focus only.

All comparisons reveal the idea of the 21mm Limited being a "slow" lens, or not a fast lens, to be a misconception. Except for the Sigma 20 and 24m f/1.8 lenses, the fastest available for an APS size DSLR in the wide-angle arena is f/2.8 in zooms or prime lenses. That Sigma 20mm lens is reported to be quite soft until f/2.8 anyway, and is several times the size and weight of the Pentax 21mm Limited. The Pentax lens also shoots sharp wide open.

The 21mm and 43mm Limited comprise a very unique and advantageous combo for a walk around kit having remarkable compactness, versatile focal range for various uses, good aperture speed, and exceptional build quality and optical performance. To me, the available price for that is not terrible.

Full frame DSLR designs are expensive and still have light falloff issues in wide angle use.

For more speed and fine extra wide-angle performance, I return to film and my Sigma 24mm f/1.8 lens.