DPReview 40D review posted

awindsor

I am thinking of getting one though the noise characteristics are not better than my 20D so I might hold off. The shutter release is much quieter though and that is something that bothers me in my 20D. I also would dearly like a spot meter. The bigger viewfinder is very attractive. This is a very mature photographic tool. The 40D addresses a couple of niggles I have with my 20D, which I love, though Canon still gives a Direct Print button and no single MLU button.

I think that criticism may have been mentioned before by one or two people so I think Canon is just being stubborn.

Can someone tell me to what degree having in-camera noise reduction ON will effect the buffer when shooting raw images? Canon states a 17 raw image buffer, and I heard that the buffer is significantly reduced when noise reduction is on, but I want to get a sense of what # that is.

thanks,

conrad

"There isn't a single camera on the market which gains so much by shooting RAW and using Adobe Camera RAW to convert its images than the K10D. The difference is night and day and indeed the K10D in this comparison trumps the EOS 40D for detail which hints perhaps that Pentax are using a sensor with a lighter anti- alias filter (although if you look at some of the crops you can see some demosaicing artifacts)."

I read the whole review -- barely any mention of AF (it does talk about the new AF sensors) but nothing I could find about accuracy or speed of AF. It REALLY concentrates on ISO and noise.

Personally I "hate" the direct print button and would _love_ an MLU button and couldn't care less about ECF (esp. in a crop sensor body, maybe in a FF I could appreciate that).