I Wanna Put My Nikon Photomic Finder Onna BELT SANDER...

Recently I bought for $75 a fairly clean Nikon F with a Photomic FTn viewfinder and a clunky 70

-210mm/f3.5 Asanuma (Tokina) zoom lens. I'm shopping around for a smallish 35mm lens.

I really like the solid feel and clean lines of the Nikon F body, but that klugey viewfinder badly offsets

its good looks. I took the corroding batteries out of the viewfinder, and there probably is a little

internal damage from leakage.

As the correct mercury cell bateries are no longer available in the US and the scarce prism-only finder

costs as much as the body, wonder if anyone ever attempted to stream-line the klugey Photomic

viewfinder? I'd like to bust out all the e-lekt-tronikal stuff, mask off the prism and optics, and use a

belt sander and wood rasp to give it cleaner lines, and cover the whole mess up with epoxy.

Yes, there are fixes for the Photomic finder/battery problem, but I usually prefer meterless cameras.

With "pulled" Tri-X and Fuji 100 C-41 film I can get acceptable exposures most of the time by previous

experience. (And wild guesses + luck.)

A new after-market prism for the Nikon F and F2 might be a good new product for an innovative

company like Cosina, who has done well filling in a long-needed niche for affordable Leica-mount

lenses and RF bodies.

I'm mostly joking about the belt sander, but all comments and suggestions are welcome.

--Leigh in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Assuming the batteries are something like PX-13's or PX-675's you can always use silver batteries if you can clean up the contacts. It might or might not be accurate, but it might be better than nothing.

I'm not sure what kind of technician you would have to be to "build" your own finder, but my suspicion is that it would be cheaper to buy the meterless finder at collector prices. I see KEH selling a working metered finder for $90.

<i>I really like the solid feel and clean lines of the Nikon F body, but that klugey viewfinder badly offsets its good looks.</i><p>NO! NO! NO! The beauty of that monster IS the way the Photomic head sits on top of the body like a rakishly tilted hat on Tom Waits. You have to learn to appreciate the lump of ugly metal. Please do not mess with it. If you <p>

Henry Posner<br>

B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<i>I really like the solid feel and clean lines of the Nikon F body, but that klugey viewfinder badly offsets its good looks.</i><p>NO! NO! NO! The beauty of that monster IS the way the Photomic head sits on top of the body like a rakishly tilted hat on Tom Waits. You have to learn to appreciate the lump of ugly metal. Please do not mess with it. If you want another look find a Nikon meterless eye-level prism finder.

<p>

Henry Posner<br>

B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

It should be do-able. You probably can bend up some brass to make a new lid. You will have to remove the photocells from the prism proper. You may also need to fashion a new prism retention mechanism.

BUT...

Please, try some batteries in it, even the alkaline ones. If it works, and has a good ring resistor, PLEASE swap it with someone who has a kaput ring resistor before altering it.

Or, at least take it apart really carefully, and save the ring resistor as a spare part for someone who wants to fix their finder. Should be obvious, it has a wiper connected to the aperture index pin.

As an FTn user I will join the chorus.

Unless you're a really skilled craftsman it will look like junk. So if you're going to end up with something that ugly, you just might do better to shop for even the ugliest, brassiest, beat-up prism available. It will be easier to spruce that up than to reproduce it.

Black FTn finders look nicer than the chrome ones, even on a chrome body. The only part that differs is the front cover. Consider a paint job.

Also, the FTn finder is not terribly hard to recalibrate for modern batteries, so if it's not broken, you can actually use it with either alkaline or silver oxide batteries.

Whatever you do, save the parts. They're getting rare.

Photomic FTn fans, I happy to say I don't even own a belt sander! Heh... after such passionate responses I'll promise not to harm it; perhaps future generations will appreciate it more than I do. So as I like the classic lines of the orignal '50s meterless Nikon F, guess I'll budget for a plain prism, and try to ignore the irony that it will cost more than the body.

Just take the thing off and look down onto the screen. You could lay a loupe on it, or get some of those magnifying glasses from Edmund Scientific or a dental supply.

Then not only would you have a camera with no hat, but also with no forehead.

Meanwhile, you could send the prism finder to me, maybe it would fit properly on my old F (which needs a clean and lube)

...tee-hee

You could send it to this Photomic junkyard, where I promise it will be lovingly disembarrassed of any useful parts, especially if it doesn't have any prism rot!

Notice how nice the black one looks, even on a chrome body. Notice also that the black body has not only a chrome finder but a chrome back. A motley rag-tag fleet it is!<div>00N8s7-39454884.jpg.9106fc8d24e7a14e60bc00dfceacb8ef.jpg</div>

I love my F/FTN's!!! I have a chrome and and a black.

I use Wein Aircells. Direct fit and the right voltage. I get them from Micro Tools by the carton at about $3.50 each (cell, not the carton). I've heard the don't last too long, but mine seem to last 9-12 months.

I also have plain prism finders, but like my FTN's