Markins Q3 for K10D+A*200/2.8?

ted_kelly

Would the Q3 be adiquate for this combination?

The Markins site says the Q3 is good for a canon 20D and 70-200/2.8 zoom which is larger but has a

tripod colar on the lens which the A*200 doesnt.

I would like the ballhead to move smoothly but still stay put if I let go of the camera.

Will a Q3 do that, or is a larger ball head required?

Ted,

I don't quite know what the 'Q3' is, but I purchased there 'smaller ball-head' (there were two at the time)when they first came out. The ballhead is rated for something like up to 90 lbs, and I believe it! I have used this ballhead with Pentax 67 medium format and lenses up to 200mm and with Pentax 35mm equipment up to a 500mm f4.5 Takumar lens (a beast!) and it is rock solid. The only issue I ever had with the Markin's was in verticals with the 67; the body would hit the legs which I suspect wouldn't be an issue with the larger head. However I simply purchased a 'L' Quick release bracket and the problem went away.

Markins are incredible ballheads. As much time as I have used them in the field I have NEVER had the infamous 'lock-up' that true Arca Swiss are known to have (and I know those problems can be avoided with Arca Swiss equipment). Kirk are more expensive and at the time I got mine Kirks were a lot heavier than the Markins (I hike a lot with my gear).

I can't say I ever heard of anyone complain about a Markins head, and they have some in pretty cool colors too (ok, mine is just black). All around one of the best photo-gear purchases I ever made.

Hi Ted:

Well Doug really likes his Markins and I've read only good reports about them. Like Doug, I use a Pentax 67. I have tried lots of heads, but never a Markins. None of the heads I used could handle the Pentax, until I got an Arca-Swiss Z1. The aspherical ball allows me to set the tension such that I can move a 67 with a 500mm lens and a 2x extender and when I let go, it doesn't move! A great head and the "locking problem" is only with the older heads (B1). It's about the same price as the Q3, but a bit heavier. Good luck, either is likely fine.