D3 file sizes

harvey_edelstein1

The following information was posted to the D1scussion Digest by David Dentry, the General Manager for Technical Support at Nikon USA:

<P>

<I>

D3 File Size (FX Mode):

<P>

NEF Lossless compressed, 12-bit 13.3MB

<BR>

NEF Lossless compressed, 14-bit 16.3MB

<BR>

NEF Compressed, 12-bit 11.0MB

<BR>

NEF Compressed, 14-bit 13.8MB

<BR>

NEF Uncompressed, 12-bit 18.8MB

<BR>

NEF Uncompressed, 14-bit 24.7MB

<BR>

TIFF (RGB Large/8-bit), Uncompressed, 35.9MB

<BR>

JPEG (Large/Fine), 5.7MB

<P>

Of course all figures are approximate.

</I>

Actually, the D3 (4256x2832) has slightly fewer pixels than the D2X (4288x2848). Therefore, the D3's RAW files are also slightly smaller if you compare similar uncompressed 12-bit files. If you use the 14-bit mode on the D3, that is a different story.

The D3's 5:4 mode has 3522x2832 pixels, as the long size becomes shorter. You can get an approximate idea about file sizes by scaling things down accordingly.

• 1 month later...
Is there anyone out there who understands how to benefit from the 14bit capture? I've switched to 14bit RAW uncomressed. Do I have to do anything else? I don't see any new options in the conversion from RAW. When I bring my files in through CS3 Adobe Bridge am I getting all I can out of my image? I'm not worried about space or speed...just ultimate quality. I've searched the we as well as the manual, but the work flow of the 14 bit capture doesn't seem to be covered anywhewere.