50mm Lens for Hasselblad 500 C/M

peter_gale

I have a Hasselblad 500 C/M with chrome body and chrome 80mm 'C' lens (no T*

coating). I'm looking for a 50mm lens, f4, for this system. My reading and

research, here and everywhere, indicates that if I want to stay with a chrome

lens, then I will be looking for a 'C' lens, possibly with T* coating (it is my

understanding that some later 'C' lenses in chrome also had T* coating - is this

true?). It is also my understanding that an 'FLE' version of the 'C' lens was

not created. On the other hand, if I want to consider certain 'improvements' in

optics over the 'C' lens, then I might look at a 'CF' lens, specifically the

second version of that series, with 'FLE' elements, since the first version

continued to use 'C' lens optics and just changed the barrel. Further, this lens

would only be in black, not chrome. I am aware of the Cfi version of this lens,

but see no reason to have it for my type of photography. Am I missing any other

option in chrome or in black for a 500 C/M that does not take me into lenses,

such as the CFE series, with electronic connections, etc.?

Thanks for any advice you may have (and apologies if my description of these

lenses is awkward).

Thanks Ulrik It gets a bit confusing with certain focal lengths!

I have become rather used to having the shutter speed and aperture interlocked on my 80mm 'C' lens. I understand that the 'CF' series has a mechanism that allows this to happen when I'd like it. Do you know if this true of all focal lengths in that series?

Peter, if you like chrome lenses, and you would also like to have the latest 50mm lens for Hasselblad, AND you can afford a new lens, directly from Zeiss in Germany you can buy the Distagon T* 4/50 ZV illustrated bellow. Whilst the Hasselblad company we once knew has been completely turned on it's head as a producer of the Fuji H series thing, Zeiss have brought out a series of three classic Hasselblad lenses in chrome: the 50mm, a 120 Macro-Planar and the magnificent 180mm. You can see it all at http://www.zeiss.de/

That said, I am very happy with my Chrome 50mm T* C lens, which I use frequently.

Cheers, Kevin.<div>00N46R-39310984.jpg.934a6a6ffea40e6a2b1d027a94cb9eee.jpg</div>

The CF50 (non-FLE) and the older C50 have essentially the same optics. Chrome lenses come with single or multiple (T*) coatings depending on the age.

The CF50-FLE is significantly sharper, particularly at the edges. AFIK, all CF and newer lenses are black.

Thanks Kevin. I'm afraid to even ask Zeiss what the price might be for the ZV series. Looks nice, however! I think I'll stick with finding either a 'C' with a T* coating, or, if I have a good week, I might think about the extra cost for a CF version. I've already seen what that means in price!

As fasr as I know, all CF lenses have a small button on the aperture scale that interlocks the speed and aperture rings. So you can normally move both of them independently, but when you press down the button, they move together. The button is quite small and in one place only, so it is not as convenient to move them together as in a C lens. But it is much easier to set the initial EV value as both rings move separately.