Nikon D300 frame rate

juan_parm_nides

"14-bit RAW only 2.5 fps "

Ah, Ok, Shun, thanks for the link. The 14 bits would be needed for high volume data as landscapes or so, where you do not need high speed fps.

Frank, I guess this is a manufacturer limitation, if the Nikon D300 would be able to shoot 8 fps at 14 bits, then, why to buy the Nikon D3?.

Regards.

There is technical discussion about this on dpreview if you can search your way to it.

Some engineer folks there were able to elucidate on why, through the method nikon was using to extract the two extra bits, you would quarter the read rate.

I would also note that in my reading of the dpreview 40d review, 14 bits didn't seem to extend dynamic range any. I guess we'll see what the effect is for the d300 once they get around reviewing that, but it might be similar.

Andy I do not think 14 bit over 12bit resolution would extend the dynamic range. Lower noise level would extend the dynamic range even in 12bit resolution. I expect or better hope for a slight increase in tonal separation due to better bit resolution. We will need to see if that will be noticeable; if noticeable at all perhaps only in cases of severe post processing. Just my guess but we will see soon.