Is Irving Penn the last living Great Master Photographer?

Sotheby's and Christie's are extremely conservative in terms of the photographers they

accept for auctions. For instance, they hardly touch color nature photographers at all -

Elliot Porter is a rare example - much less dealing with acknowledged great color

photographers like the late Galen Rowell, David Muench, Jack Dykinga, etc.

Nonetheless, there are numerous great photographers working today. However, there are

so many hacks promoting themselves today that it is harder to cut through the chaff to the

strength of creativity and quality imagery that breaks new ground.

Here is a very incomplete list of photographers working today who I consider great for a

variety of reasons (and in no particular order at all): Jack Dykinga, Sebastiao Salgado, Jay

Dusard, Bruce Barnbaum, Christopher Burkett, James Nachtwey, Annie Leibovitz, Michael

Kenna, William Neill, Jerry Uelsmann, Frans Lanting.

How are you defining a master?

In my opinion, Marc Adamus is a master, if you allow digital artists to be classified as such.

If film must be used for one to be a master, look no further than Thomas Barbey. His darkroom composites are far beyond anything I have seen from any other composite photographic artist, digital and film alike. Show me someone who uses a camera to produce a more creative end product.

Oskar's profound mention of Joel Peter Witkin raises a crucial point, entirely opposite to what some suggest: JPW's images are typically revolting initially. Cadavers reassembled for visual purposes...that kind of thing. Shocking. Amazing. Beautiful. No...revolting. Ghastly. Gorgeous. Sometimes beautifully stomach turning. Hard to live with images like that. Great work.

Yes, after watching a short documentary on Eve Arnold, I indeed find her to be a master

photographer. I think Penn is remarkable.

I was so surprised after you made this topic the slew of photographers to follow - all

landscapers mostly. It's what I'd call the bob ross's of photography. Is bob ross a master

painter? Because he had a cult following?

I should make a point to say this is all so relative, and quote John Kelly: "These names

have all been marketed to us".

To me a master photographer is someone who captures beautiful, distinct and compelling

images that you can't see elsewhere. These photographers sort of live in their own world,

and looking at their photos is sort of a visit.

That is why my favorite photographers are Ellen von Unwerth and Eve Arnold. They may

not get household status, but they are true masters according to my definition.

Ellen von Unwerths a fashion photographer and all of her photoshoots have a story behind

them, she gets really intimate with her models. Her work is fantasy, erotic, emotional,

stylish, and imaginative. It's not just girls in dresses. She's my ultimate inspiration.

Eve Arnold, if you search for her on the web, might only get credited for her work with

Marilyn Monroe. Her photos of monroe are very personal and stunning, of course, as are

all her other photos. She's brilliant at photographing intimate, simple, and beautiful

moments. Her photography is very cinematic, the subject aren't focused on the camera

and are pretty much just going about their every day life.