Buying a Rolleiflex

wuyeah

Hello,

I have finally prepare $2000 for my first Rolleiflex 2.8F. Usually I do really

care about camera's cosmetic condition, and would like to get as much mint as

possible. (i know althought they were made so long ago)

Should I place my money with few famous CLA like Harry or Krimar it is better

to purchase from ebay and sent for CLA? Anyone here buy your Rolleiflex from

CLA?

What is the right thing to do?

I rather spend a little more on a camera I'm sure of it's gonna work when I get it than buying a camera that might or might not work and still have spend a lot of money on it.

When you buy a CLA camera from a reputable person than you are certain that it will be in order, if you do not, Goth knows what you end up with.

I just went to Harry Fleenor's web site "rolleirepairs.com" is one of his URLS, andsee that he

has exactly what you want in "Collector Condition" for $1900, a 2.8F. That's the camera to

purchase and it comes with a guarantee. Also, it is a "Whiteface" version which to collectors

means its worth an extra $200 to $300.

Check out his site - Rolleiflex 2.8 F type 4 whiteface, 2.8/80 CZ Planar, Meter, Case and

lens cap. Like new.

Including shutter and transport overhaul

Wow, a few years ago when I bought my Rolleiflex, 2.8Fs were a lot cheaper. Maybe they're in demand in the US, who knows. I settled for an MX-EVS that has served me without a glitch, but I can see the appeal in a 2.8F.

Bottom line: these cameras are old. If in good condition and properly serviced, it will last for ages, but old cameras may be worn or mistreated. So at least check before you buy or buy from a reputable dealer with a guarantee.

I am totally jealous of being ready to spend 2000 for a new old 2.8F. I keep a pretty close

eye on ebay and I think you can get a mint condition F for enough less than 2000 to still

have money for CLA with Harry or Krimar. I use Harry myself but Krimar is much quicker.

If you have nothing but time to spend on ebay you can eventually find a really good deal. I

got my very late white face 2.8F with a buy it now for 860.00. When I got the camera it

looked fabulous but it had something rattling in it. I sent it to Harry Fleenor who found a

loose screw and fixed it for 40 dollars. Then last year I had a friend determined to get a

top notch 2.8F off ebay and we watched a couple of weeks and got one buy it now for

1000.00 It arrived in perfect mint condition with the 2.8 planar and I have never

understood why it was so cheap.

The thing about buying on ebay is that you have to be very careful and research the

person you consider buying from. Look closely at their feedbacks and what they are

selling and make certain they offer refund. People don't like to give negative feedback

because you are likely to get a negative in return. But if you read the feedbacks closely

people will sometimes be lukewarm in the positive and sometimes be very enthusiastic. A

lot of luke warm feedbacks mean that people aren't exactly thrilled with the deal.

Buying Harry Fleenor's camera is a good idea though I have seen where he has a price for

the camera and a second price for the CLA after you buy the camera. Make certain the

price you pay is the total price for a CLA'd camera.

DP

330177204422 ebay item number

this one looks like a beauty and a seemingly reputable dealer. Quite a bit of money but it

has the 12/24 switch and probably doesn't need a CLA.

Just my Opinion. Don't hunt me down and kill me if it is wrong.

DP

Hello William,

If you have $2000 ready to spend on a Rolleiflex, perhaps you should consider a Rollei 6008i kit for starters. The 2.8 Rollei TLR's are fine photographic cameras, but a 6008i SLR would offer you more versatility and options. You'd be able to use a wide array of both Schneider and Zeiss lenses, as well as prisms and flash sync at any speed.

Dale