Strange question - how long will an L lens last?

nilangsu mahanty

An L lens is supposed to be durable and last a very long time. But there will

surely come a time when the L-lens has to be taken to Canon Service, but it

cannot be repaired because there are no spares available, signifying the end

of the road for that lens. Are there users in this forum, who had been using L-

lenses that are quite old in the EF line( like the 28-70 f/2.8, for example)

and have had to retire them because of focusing, zooming or electronic

problems (such as with IS) that are no longer serviceable due to lack of

spares?

You may wonder why I am worrying about what may happen, say, 8 years later (it

may very well get stolen or may fall off the table before that). I am

considering buying the 24-105 f/4 L and need to be really convinced that the

premium I am paying Canon is really worth it.

Can I expect 10 years of use (with reasonably careful handling)? Second, will

spares be available for a lens that is already more than 2 years old, after 10

years? $1000, when converted to Indian rupees, is a lot of money even with the

falling dollar.

Cheaper alternatives are third party lenses that, in my personal experience,

have questionable (at least worse than that of Canon) quality control. QC, per

se, has little to do with durability, though.

Your views will be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Nilangsu

I have an 80-200 2,8L. Bought it maybe 8 years ago, and how old it was then i can only guess. But It sure must be at least 10, maybe 15, ears old. It still functions excellent. Picture are tack skarp, but the lens barrel shows some wear. Nothing loose though, except the ruber on the zoom ring wich in some parts seam a bit loose. I wouldn?t hesitate. As an amatuer, even an avid one, you should not be able to wear your lens out.

Good luck!

The production code of my EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk. I shows that it was manufactured in 1987. It is still going strong, as are many of my vintage (non-electronic) lenses.

Noone can predict when a specific lens is going to fail. As I understand it, the Indian climate (warm and humid) is not very lens-friendly and might lead to a higher chance of lens fungus and corrosion. L glass might help a little, but I wouldn't hold my breath if you expect decades of use from any lens you buy today.

'I keep a couple of the dessicant sachets in my bag to ensure any moisture is absorbed'

Using dessicants can be a good idea BUT they must be dried out (eg in an oven/stove), probably daily in damp climes, or they are totally useless. If you want to use dessicants, then get some with a built in colour indicator - the crystals will turn from blue to pink as they absorb the moisture, you will be surprised how quickly that occurs unless the pack is sealed in an airtight pack with the equipment!

I purchased about 500gm over 25 years ago, it is still usable today.

Speaking of "L" lenses I just noticed (as I am trying to decide on which L Lens to buy) that B&H either have a typo online for the Canon 70-200mm 2.8IS or it just dropped by $125 ! Was $1699 and is now $1574.

I know because I have it in my cart but am trying to figure out if the non IS would be adequate while trying to save a few hundred bucks and just noticed the price drop today.

Not sure if this will be the only one to be lowered but thought I'd let others know if this is the case then now may be a good time to get your "L" lenses. All the Best!

Mechanical parts will probably wear faster than electronic parts in AF lenses--electronics are pretty reliable these days. I have lots of old manual focus lenses that still work after decades of mechanical wear and tear--one lens was made in 1951 and still works fine and produces good photographs. You'll probably upgrade a Canon L-series lens before you wear it out.

Sorry I know this is off topic but Just to update what I said about B&H price drops on their "L" lenses ... its true and they are dropping prices on other lenses as well and I've also noticed my price drop on my 580EX flash. Just in time for Christmas I suppose or the fact new gear may be coming.

When did Canon launch the EOS line of bodies and the EF lenses to go with them? How long a history is it?

The 24-105 f/4 lens that I am considering has the additional complication of IS. If IS fails, and is not repairable, will the lens still work?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.

Regards,

Nilangsu

My 200/2.8L says it was manufactured in 1991. The AF motor was replaced in 2006, so that's a solid 15 years. I had a 70-210/3.5-4.5 that was from about the same time, and it was still going strong when I sold it in 2005.

There's substantial crossover in parts for many of the more recent USM lenses. I wouldn't consider the 24-105/4L a maintenance liability.

DI