3 options of SW 90mm... what to do?

pablo_hare

I'd get an Nikkor 90mm f/8. It is much smaller, lighter, and since most view camera lenses are used at apertures from 16-45, the extra size, weight and cost make minimal sense unless you have a terrible focusing screen, (I know nothing of the Shen's screen), or shoot in a coal bin.

Good luck.

Eric

All three are excellent performers and you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference in image quality between them.

The decision should be made considering factors like weight and bulk, filter diameter and to some extend price. But if I had to pick one of those thjree, I'd probably take the Nikon.

However, my personal choice was to get a Grandagon N 6.8/90mm. It is relatively light and reasonably small. It takes 67mm filters, like almost all of my LF lenses. The max. aperture of f/6.8 is enough for me to focus under a dark cloth, even in poor light. Performance is - of course - excellent.

I have the Nikon SW 90 f4.5 and find the bright maximum aperture extremely useful, and not only for focusing. I don't think that I have EVER taken a photo more stopped down than f7.1 with this lens, usually it is more like f5.6-6.3, yet it still produces very nice sharp images. Remember, 90 mm is a wide angle on 4 x 5, and infinity focus is going to start pretty close to the camera.