Tripod on the cheap

markonestudios

Hello all

<p>I've been useing a Hama Star 62 tripod which I bought very cheaply when I

started out. It's served me well, but a couple of week ago, one of the links

broke. It's time for a replacement. I have a a film SLR (Canon Rebel G) as well

as a dSLR (400D) and my heaviest lens is the Canon EF 17-40 f/4L. I often have

my 580EXII on the camera, so the 'pod has to be able to handle all that. My Hama

served me well for all the work I've shot so far (portraiture, weddings,

interiors and even some landcape work), but now it's time to move on :(

<p>I'm already splashing out on the 24-105L, so I can't afford to spend more

than about 50 bucks on a tripod. I'm about 5'10" and would prefer something not

too weighty because I often walk long distances with my gear. My Hama weighed in

at about 3.5 pounds

<p>Before you ask, yes I <i>have</i> searched the discussion forums but haven't

found any suitable thread. All the posts I've read are talking about tripods

that are way above my budget :)

<p>I look forward to your responses...

Alas, Mark, the reason all of those discussions seem to be about tripods that cost too much is because ones that <i>don't</i> cost too much actually... don't cost <i>enough</i>. Meaning, they simply don't have the build quality to either last long enough, keep the camera steady enough, be easy/pleasant enough to use, or all of the above. Something like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FDigipro-Digital-Camera-Tripod-Ball%2Fdp%2FB000FFF2C6%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics%26qid%3D1192534817%26sr%3D8-32&tag=nutriwarescom-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325"><b>this Sunpak</b></a> is right in the $50-ish range, but that ballhead might be just a little too wimpy. They rate it at handling a 3.3-pound load. And that's where most of the super-bargain-grade pods are going to show their budgetness... they get kind of springy with heavier gear on them, and that means you have to be extra careful/patient to get that steady shot. Honestly, if I were you I'd seriously consider using a beanbag or some other steadying device until you can put more like $200+ into a tripod that will serve you for many years to come. Since you hoof it with your gear, you'd really appreciate carbon fiber construction. It really is worth saving up for the right gear. Good luck!

Matt, thanks a bunch for that. I was afraid of such a response ;-) It's just that I'm based in Kenya and have some friends hopping over to the US next month, so it would be easy for them to bring it over (along with the 24-105L ;)) - shipping costs skyrocket otherwise! I've got just about enough cash for the lens, but I really need a tripod too, now that mine's broken at such an inopportune time :( I'll check out that Sunpak. Thanks for the link...

Oh, and I know this might sound really silly, but what are the pros and cons of a pan/tilt versus a ball head? My Hama had a pan/tilt with a quick-release plate. I've never used a ball-head, so please enlighten me...

I've also seen another Sunpak here:

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272502-REG/Sunpak_620050_FieldMaster_Tripod.html

Consider stretching your budget up just a few bucks further and look at the Slik "Able 300DX." Decently made, with a smooth, all metal 3-way head. Video style pan-tilts are a pain if you do landscapes and care about level horizons. The three way head will not follow action like a ball head, but it's good for more stationary work, and ideal if you're finicky about horizons. I sprung for a few bucks more and got a 400DX a few years ago (basically a 300DX with better leg locks and a two piece column), and it's been very good. It weighs about an even 5 pounds, and holds my heavy old metal SLR handily with lenses up to about 200 mm. Above that it's too jiggly for comfort, though it's safe. A tripod with independent leg locks is very versatile on uneven terrain, and very quick to set up. Once you've lived with this, I doubt you'll ever want to go back to braced legs.

I see that prices have gone up a little bit, and the 300DX is now around $100 at B&H, while the 400 is still at $109. You might also look at the smaller 330DX; though I found it too light for my needs, it's similar in quality.

If you use a tripod much of the time, then you really do need to consider a more expensive and durable model. However, if like me, your use is occasional, then look at the Opteka 70" model. It is very cheap, and they work fine for what they are. I would also add, that it is one of the few tripods even at much higher prices that is tall enough for a 5'10" person to use without having to stoop or crank out the elevator.

• 3 weeks later...
In case anyone else is still reading this, I received my Slik 400DX yesterday. I must say, I am very impressed. Compared to my humble Hama, this is built like a tank! Quite a bit heavier than the Hama too, one inch lower in maximum height (but who's measuring?) ;) - but worth every penny! I can't wait to start using it...