post production

tk shots

All photographs are processed.

Post processing (PP) begins after film is developed or a digital file is demosaiced. In either medium how an image is going to be presented will dictate what kind of PP is best for that image. Many film users leave PP to the labs they deliver their negative or slides to for printing; many digital users let the camera do all of their PP and/or the lab if they print the images.

I would say that the difference between picture takers and photographers is largely determined by PP. As Ansel Adams said, "You don't take a photograph, you make it." The implication (which I fully agree with) is that a photograph is a process that merely begins with the camera.

"i am wondering how much of a difference does post production make to a photograph?"

Post is what you do to the image after it's brought into the computer via what ever processing program you use.

A few things you can do to change things to your liking.

Resize

Crop

Contrast

Levels

Color saturation

Reduce in size for web posting

Erase things, like distractions

Selectively change highlights and shadows

JPEG is what the camera does (in camera settings) and throws information away and locks you into, basically, one format.

RAW allows you to expand on your ideas and give you more leeway as to final image. When shooting in RAW, you can change exposure, saturation, contrast, sharpening (USM), exposure compensation and color balance. It's the professional/experienced way to go.

One suggestion is to shoot both JPEG and RAW. That way you have an in camera image to use and a RAW file to work on as you learn to process your images.

In short, it's a learning curve that will provide you with lots of good-time entertainment. :D

"Resize Crop Contrast Levels Color saturation Reduce in size for web posting Erase things, like distractions Selectively change highlights and shadows"

Sorry, I forgot this site's HTML doesn't recognize returns.

D'oh! :)

Resize

Crop

Contrast adjustment

Levels adjustment

Color saturation adjustment

Reduce in size for web posting

Allows for print size options

Erase things, like distractions

Selectively change highlights and shadows

These are a few examples of what can be done in post.

Hope the above helps.

"It's the professional/experienced way to go." (RAW)

Not necessarily in every case. Just a thought here from a working photographer who has to meet deadlines on a regular basis.

In the real world when I have 3 major shoots in a 24 hour period and have to deliver product to all three clients the next day, I may not have time to shoot RAW. I set my cams and lenses up, know/trust my gear and abilities, and get a good image before I ever hit post. That cuts my time down considerably; I then get the images to the client for web post or print and move on to the next project.

However, if I have time, I will shoot in RAW. I will shoot in RAW if I am doing a portrait, office print, CD cover, periodical cover or back, or some other project that allows time for experimentation. What I appreciate about Nikon and Canon is that they make great products otherwise allowing the shooter to choose depending upon his/her project or situation.

And yes, I have an excellent understanding of post and RAW, it is more of a matter of time and deadline and using my tools to achieve a goal.

Shooting in JPG or RAW has nothing to do with being a professional or not, but I will say a good understanding of the post is an absolute necessity if you want desirable results. So are photography skills and a bit of gear knowledge might be helpful. It's quite the banana.

I appreciate and agree with Anthony's final paragraph. Good explanation.

This sounds like a thinly veiled film vs digital question so lets deal with both.

In the two attached images below one is "processed" and one is an as is. (except that I had to straighten the horizon). Both were shot with an Hasselblad 500CM. Can you tell which is which? And does it matter?

If you care to look at my portfolio ALL shots are with a D70 and ALL are processed.

To PP or not to PP is a personal matter. If you know what you are doing it should make no difference.<div>00MzsZ-39198084.jpg.244e17cd284e70137732e78c31ce03c0.jpg</div>

"how much of a difference does post production make to a photograph?"

How much does breaking the eggs go toward making an omelet?

Post is just as important as image capture, whether the intent is a print from a wet darkroom or images for the web browser. It's inseparable.