Cameta Auctions on eBay

debejyo

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D40-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-Lens-Kit-1yr-Warr_W0QQitemZ160169463038QQihZ006QQcategoryZ150130QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please refer to the link pasted above. Does anyone have any experience with this

dealer? He is giving factory demo D40 for cheap and claims to be nikon dealer.

Can I trust him?

Thanks guys.

----

This is Cameta Auctions:

http://myworld.ebay.com/cametaauctions/

-- Shun Cheung

Cameta is a well known, longtime dealer with a good reputation. They advertised for many years in Shutterbug before moving toward ebay sales. You can research them and their reputation easily on photo.net and the web.

The auction appears to be accurately representing how Nikon demonstrator and refurbished products are sold.

I wouldn't consider the price cheap, yet, because it's an ongoing auction. On ebay it's typical for bid activity to soar during the closing minutes. The $280 current bid price, with more than 10 hours to go before closing, is likely to go up.

Cameta is an excellent seller. Their 'factory demos' and refurbished items do not included Nikon warranty, they include Cameta's own warranty.

The D40 price has dropped in the last month to about $400 for the body, brand new, with genuine Nikon factory warranty, so bid accordingly.

<i>"Their 'factory demos' and refurbished items do not included Nikon warranty, they include Cameta's own warranty."</i><P>

Actually, unless things have changed, they include a 90 day Nikon USA warranty with the balance of a 1 year warranty covered by Cameta.<P>

They are a very reliable reseller, and have a close business relationship with Nikon in Melville, NY (they clear a lot of discontinued items for Nikon USA). I have purchased from them a few times with no problems. What you see is what you get.

With Ebay auctions I always thoroughly check out their feedback before bidding - in this case they have about 1 in 90 customers giving either neutral or negative comments (over the past 6 months) - with that average think I would avoid them like the plague!

Nick, they have 99.8% positive feedback with over 200,000 auctions! Try running that many online sales while maintaining that level of customer satisfaction. That's probably better than most brick and board shops would get if you could measure their customer satisfaction rate.

Lex, a percentage is one thing - but if you just look at the figures - 40 neutral and 16 negative in the last 5031 = 1 unsatisfied customer in 88.26! If you find that acceptable then you are far more trusting than me! If my own feedback were one fifth as bad as that I would seriously question my customer relations!

I bought a lens from them on eBay, made an error in mounting, which they allowed me to correct, plus when I thought I had an issue of focus on the lens, they were immediately willing to swap it for another, though that proved unnecessary. I was very impressed with their customer service.

Numbers and percentages in the feedback are one thing, one needs to look a bit deeper at what the negatives and neutrals are actually for and a lot of them will show that they have been resolved. Giving a negative feedback because a camera was damaged during shipping is harsh, especially if the issue is resolved later. And overall there is 1 out of almost 500 that left a negative rating - that's excellent in my book.

• 10 months later...